Macalester is one of a handful of selective liberal arts colleges in a metropolitan area. The Twin Cities—Minneapolis and St. Paul—are home to 3.5 million people and countless opportunities.
Start your application.
Deadline January 15.
Our students get real-world experiences. More than 60 courses partner with businesses and organizations in the Twin Cities community as part of the curriculum. There are countless internship and research opportunities including 17 Fortune 500 companies, the Mayo Clinic, and all areas of government, including the governor’s office and state agencies.
- Home to 3.5 million people
- 16th largest metro area in the United States—smaller than New York, larger than St. Louis or Denver.
- Best place for young job seekers in the country (Georgetown Center on Education and the Workforce)
- More than 90 percent of our students participate in some form of community-based work before they graduate.
- More than 60 courses partner with businesses and organizations in the Twin Cities community as part of the curriculum.
Extra, Extra Curricular Activities
- Want to catch a show? Only New York City has more theater seats per capita than the Twin Cities.
- There are 16 museums, all within access by bus.
- Home to the Twins, Vikings, Timberwolves, Wild, and Lynx
- Named "America's best bike city" by Bicycling magazine. Two Nice-Rice bike stations are located by campus. You can also check out a bicycle at our library.
- Our bus system is one of the country's largest transit systems. A bus-stop is conveniently located right on campus.
- An international airport is only 20 minutes away from Macalester.
Number of internship sites within eight miles of campus.
Fortune 500 companies within a few miles of campus.
Percentage of students who have engaged in community-based learning, service, or applied research.
Percentage of students who complete at least one internship for credit.