As a Pcard holder, you are required to and review, categorize and describe your prior month’s charges. You will receive an email when your statement posts at the beginning of the month as a reminder.
You can reconcile your transactions at anytime during the month, however, to submit your reconciliation and statement to your approver you must wait until you receive notification that the statement has posted.
To review and reconcile your Pcard Transactions
To Log onto Wells Fargo follow the Commercial sign on link or go to Pcard Portal sign on
Enter in the Company ID: Macal196, Your User ID, and Password
Then click “Sign On”
From this CEO home page click on Commercial Card Expense Reporting to view your Pcard Statement
Generally, the default is set to view the open statement when you login between the 1st-6th days of the month. If you login throughout the month, you will have to select View Cycle-to-Date.
To update each transaction, select the box next to the transaction number or click Select All and then Reclassify.
Each transaction requires a FOAPAL code. Your Pcard is set to default to your department’s FUND, ORGANIZATION, and PROGRAM code. Within Wells Fargo, the General Ledger code (ACCOUNT) is pre-populated based on the category of purchase. Wells Fargo is linked with Macalester’s accounting structure to select the appropriate ACCOUNT code. However, it is not always correct. Please review and verify the correct ACCOUNT code is selected by checking the Expense Account Code Descriptions (gDoc).
To update the General Ledger code (ACCOUNT) , click on the magnifying glass to see a list of the General Ledger (ACCOUNT) codes.
Select the most appropriate General Ledger Code (Account) from the pop-up menu, checking the Expense Account Code Descriptions (gDoc).
You can update the FUND, ORG (Organization), PROGRAM, ACTIVITY, and LOCATION codes by clicking in each box and retyping the appropriate code. ACTIVITY and LOCATION codes are not required but can be helpful. Please consult your Pcard approver if you have specific questions regarding ACTIVITY and LOCATION codes.
Remember to hit “Save” regularly and when finished.
To Split a transaction, you must do so from the original statement screen. Select the one transaction and click “Split & Reclassify.”
For each part of the split, select the “account code”(general ledger code) from the menu located in the magnifying glass, the “amount”, and “description.” You may have to overwrite the “Fund”, “Organization”, and “Program” codes. You can also add more splits. Split transactions can be used to split the cost between two or more FOAPAL codes. It is also helpful when only part of a charge is personal. In this case, only select the personal box on the amount that you are reimbursing Macalester. When finished click “Save” and “Return to Charges.”
Each transaction requires a description.
The description should provide a clear business purpose for the transaction. Descriptions do not have to be long or full sentences. For purchases tied to a specific date such as flights, event tickets, conference registrations, etc., you must enter the date(s) the activity will take place on. This is important because purchases of these types that don’t take place until the following fiscal year (FY) must be put into that year’s budget. See examples below.
Lunch with J. Smith about reunion 2018
Donor meeting with J. Smith class of ‘72
Breakfast bagels for staff meeting
J. Smith Flight on 8/24/21 to AAA conference
J. Smith AAA conference registration (8/15-8/18)
Standard office supplies – pens, post it notes, paper, etc.
Test tubes for J. Smith Research Grant
Gift Card for student worker, J. Smith – end of year thank you
Personal Charge – used wrong card
If you accidentally made any personal purchases with your Pcard, you can mark a charge as Personal. Please also add a note to the transaction description that it was a personal charge. By checking the personal box, Wells Fargo will automatically withdraw the funds from your personal account and reimburse Macalester around the 11th of the month when the statement closes. You will receive an email from Wells Fargo alerting you. No further action is required. Note that this option is only available if you have linked a personal bank account with the Well Fargo Commercial Card Expense Reporting system.
Before submitting your statement, you have the option to add Out of Pocket Expenses. Submitting your College related expenses via the Wells Fargo Pcard reconciliation is a easy method to be repaid to your personal checking account. Note that this option is only available if you have linked a personal bank account with the Wells Fargo Commercial Card Expense Reporting system. You can do so by going to the “Bank Information” tab under User Information from the left side menu. You can enter either a Checking or Savings account number and the bank routing number. Please note: your personal account does not need to be through Wells Fargo. Any bank or credit union is acceptable.
To Add or review any “Out of Pocket Expenses”, click on the tab and then “Add an Expense”.
Using the receipt enter the “transaction date”, “expense category”, “amount” to be reimbursed, “account code” (General ledger code), and “description.” Then “Save” and return to “Out-of-Pocket Expenses.”
You can also enter mileage reimbursement by selecting MILEAGE in the Expense Category pulldown, entering the number of miles and selecting the appropriate mileage rate. This will automatically calculate the dollar amount. Your ‘receipt’ can be a map or driving directions for the distance calculated.
Check the “Receipt Submitted” box if you have the receipt for the given transaction. If a receipt is missing, do not check the box; instead, add a note to the transaction description stating that you cannot obtain a receipt and the reason why. If the transaction was $50 or more, you will also have to fill out a Missing Receipt Declaration. (If the purchase was made with Federal Grant Funds, you will need to submit a missing receipt declaration for each missing receipt regardless of dollar amount). You will receive a final PDF from PandaDocs once your Approver has signed the declaration; please save this to include with the rest of your receipts when you submit them.
Make sure to click “Save” at the bottom of the page one more time. You will receive confirmation of changes. Select “Return to Charges” if you are not back on the main statement screen yet.
After all changes are made “Print” your statement as a PDF to include with your receipts.
A new window will open – select to SAVE or PRINT as PDF.
When finished, click “Statement Reviewed” at the very bottom of the page to submit your statement electronically to your Pcard approver. A confirmation box will appear, click “OK.” You will receive confirmation, and no longer have options to edit your statement at the bottom of the page. Your approver can then approve the statement at any time before their timeline closes around the 10th of the month.
Email all receipts and the Pcard statement to [email protected], using the subject line [Pcard Statement Month & Year] – [Your Last Name] (i.e. June 2020-Wood).
- Attach the Pcard statement and all receipts to this email. (Do not use Google Drive link to share your receipts.)
- You have two options for attaching your receipts:
- If you attach all receipts separately, the file name of the receipt must be changed to match the transaction number on the statement (shown in screenshot below).
- You can combine all receipts into one PDF and put them in order of your statement. You can do this easily with Adobe Acrobat. Contact ITS if you do not have this program on your computer.
- You have two options for attaching your receipts:
- Copy your Pcard approver on the e-Envelope email.
- Any required missing receipt declarations must be submitted with your e-envelope. If you are still waiting on your approver to sign any missing receipt declarations, please wait until you have the final signed copies to attach to your e-envelope before sending it. It is ok if your e-mail is a little late – we need it to be complete.
- If you have multiple Pcards please send separate emails and include the last 4 digits of the card number in the email subject line. (June 2022-Lane-1234)
- The email does not need to contain a message. Any important details for a given transaction should be noted in the transaction description.
- Photographs of paper receipts are acceptable, as long as the images are legible. JPG or PDF format preferred. You may also scan them if that’s easier for you.
- All receipts should be submitted as ATTACHMENTS, do not paste images into the body of your email. Please do not forward emailed receipts you’ve received. Save any emailed receipts you receive as PDFs to attach to your e-Envelope.
- Meal receipts should be the itemized receipt with the tip amount included as well.
- If grant funds are used, copy / cc: Grants Accounting on the email.
If you miss the Pcard Reconciliation window (Typically from the 1st to the 6th of the month), please follow these steps to complete your reconciliation when you return to the office.
- Access the Wells Fargo Portal.
- Add descriptions to the transactions in the Wells Fargo Portal (even if the window has closed).
- Save statement as a PDF and follow the directions to Submit your Pcard Reconciliation via e-Envelope.
- If FOAPALs need to be changed, please note the necessary changes in the body of you e-Envelope email. Your approver will be able to make FOAPAL changes.