5.2 Performance Evaluation
Macalester’s staff performance assessment process was created with the purpose of facilitating conversation and building connection between a supervisor and an employee. Our process aims to:
- Facilitate conversation and connection
- Proactively manage expectations
- Recognize and celebrate individual achievement
- Support individual growth
This collaborative process between a supervisor and employee generally begins in August of each year, culminating annually on July 31st. A review is considered complete when all three steps of the annual performance cycle have been delivered and discussed with the employee, signed by both the employee and supervisor, and turned into Human Resources. Any annual wage adjustments are effective September 1 of each year. Below is a copy of the review form which can be found within Macalester’s Google Template gallery. To access the form, follow these steps:
- Go to your Macalester Google Drive
- Select “NEW” on left of screen
- Within the dropdown box, hover your mouse on the “>” symbol next to “Google Docs” to reveal the option “From a template”.
- Select “From a template” to reveal the gallery of forms.
- Select the file “(EMPLOYEE NAME) Staff Review Form”
Performance reviews are not required for any staff members hired or promoted to a new position on or after March 1st of the previous year. However, supervisors are encouraged to conduct performance reviews with all employees they supervise. For questions related to the performance review process, employees are encouraged to speak to their supervisor.