Macalester’s long-standing commitment to internationalism includes a significant financial aid fund for qualified international students. Applicants for financial assistance should be aware that all awards are based on need and that the competition for these funds is extremely keen.
Candidates who need financial assistance are required to complete one of the following by November 8, 2021 (Early Decision 1 and Early Action), January 10, 2022 (Early Decision 2), or January 24, 2022 (Regular Decision):
- 2022-2023 International Student Financial Aid Application (link coming soon) OR
- CSS Profile (the 2022-2023 CSS Profile will be available beginning in October, 2021)
Financial aid applicants must also complete the Financial Declaration Form available on the Applicant Checklist in their portal.
International Students Applying for Aid
- Can I work to help pay for my education?
- Are educational loans available to international students?
- Will I have a better chance of being admitted to Macalester if I offer to pay for my first year and apply for financial aid after I have matriculated?
- Should I pursue outside scholarships, and, if I receive them, do I need to notify Macalester?
- Does Macalester offer special or honorary scholarships to international students?
All international students who qualify for financial aid are offered part time campus work as part of their financial aid package. Students generally work between ten and twelve hours per week in an office or department on campus during the academic year.
Yes. We offer a Macalester College International Student Loan to assist students in financing a portion of their educational expenses.
No. Macalester is unable to consider applications for financial aid from international students after they have begun their studies at the college. All candidates are required to submit an accurate and thorough assessment of their financial situation as part of their application for admissions to the college.
Yes. All applicants are encouraged to pursue any source of funding that may help them afford their education at Macalester. Money is often available through local, national, regional, and global foundations. To maximize your chances of receiving financial aid from Macalester, it is imperative that you provide us with details of any outside assistance you have obtained. Scholarships from non-Macalester sources will be treated according to Macalester’s Outside Scholarship Policy.
While the majority of financial aid awarded to international students is based on financial need, Macalester does offer a merit scholarship for international students. The Charles J. Turck Presidential Honor Scholarship is awarded to a limited number of international students who demonstrate special potential to excel academically. The scholarships range from $12,500 to $15,000 per year. Every international applicant is automatically considered for the Turck Scholarship — no special application is required.