Macalester is interested in helping families cope with unexpected and uncontrollable changes in financial circumstances. The Request for Reconsideration Form may be used to request that the Financial Aid Office review these changes and determine whether additional financial aid can be awarded. Additional aid will not always be available to applicants requesting reconsideration. Available funding is a consideration in determining the outcome of a review.
Students and parents may request reconsideration of financial aid eligibility if
- Financial factors have changed since the time the financial aid application was completed.
- There are corrections to information that was provided as part of the financial aid application.
- There are unusual factors that you feel may affect your ability to handle educational expenses.
To initiate the reconsideration process, complete and sign a Request for Reconsideration form and return it to the Financial Aid Office by mail, fax, or secure file upload. You may attach a letter to help us understand the full context of your request.
Please contact us if you have questions about your circumstances and how to request reconsideration based on new or additional information.
Families sometimes find it helpful to know these things about Macalester’s financial aid eligibility determination process:
- Non-financial factors such as a student’s academic record, leadership ability, and extracurricular activities are not part of our determination of financial aid eligibility. These factors are important in the admission process but not in the financial aid process.
- Financial aid provided by other schools is not taken into account in determining eligibility for financial aid from Macalester.
- Macalester’s financial aid application process is comprehensive. Students are considered for all available sources of assistance when they apply for financial aid.