College Archives at Macalester
The Macalester College Archives collects, preserves, and makes available for research materials that document the origins, developments, activities, achievements, and people of the College.
Archives and Special Collections collects, preserves, and provides access to rare books, archival records, and other special collections spanning from the 13th century to the present. Materials include unique and valuable books, archival and manuscript collections, oral histories, artists books, image and media collections, digital collections, as well as the Wood Collection of children’s books and Great Scots Collection of recent works by Macalester community members. Collections are made available for use in support of scholarship and the curriculum, and to document and preserve college history and institutional memory.
Contact College Archives
Archivist & Special Collections Librarian
Featured Digital Collections:
- Oral Histories: oral history interviews conducted with Macalester emeritus and newly-tenured faculty, long-time staff, former administrators and trustees, and alumni
- Archival Photos: historical photos of the college and its community members
- Student and College Newspapers: issues of The Mac Weekly, Macalester Echo, and Macalester Bulletin dating back to 1886
For help see this quick Guide to Searching The Mac Weekly
- Historical College Catalogs: annual college catalogs from 1885-1923
- Honors Projects: scholarly and creative works of senior Macalester students; older honors projects in print are findable in Macalester WorldCat but please Contact Us to actually access; newer honors projects are available in DigitalCommons
The Great Scots Collection is in the Harmon Room on the main level of the Library. The Archives, Rare Books Room, and Wood Collection are on the second floor of the Library: