Copyright Permissions Service
This information is intended for use by faculty who plan to use pdfs of articles or chapters for Moodle course content that does not fall within "Fair Use" guidelines. Links to articles or chapters in the library electronic subscription services should be used when we have access to the material you need rather than uploading a pdf. If the library doesn't own the item, then the following applies to obtain copyright permission:
Library staff will seek and pay for permission to use material that exceeds Fair Use. Macalester faculty: Please contact us using this form if you have any questions about copyright or seek copyright guidance in regards to course readings.
- Read about Fair Use in Macalester's Copyright Policy available through the web site of the Provost.
- Fair Use guidelines prohibit use of copyrighted materials from term to term, or using more than one article from a single journal issue, or more than one chapter from a book without obtaining permission.
- The library will request permission on behalf of faculty, and will remit royalty fees (if any) that may be required in order to obtain permission.
- Requests will be processed in the order they are received.
- Some requests may require up to 4 weeks of processing time, depending on response time from rightsholders.
If you have any questions, please contact Connie Karlen (x6545).