General Distribution Requirement
Courses numbered MCST 110, MCST 248, MCST 249, MCST 258, MCST 268, MCST 275, MCST 276, MCST 278, MCST 279, MCST 281, MCST 284, and MCST 388 count toward the requirement in humanities. Courses numbered MCST 114, MCST 126, MCST 281, MCST 321, MCST 357, and count toward the requirement in social science. Course MCST 128 and MCST 232 meet the distribution requirement in the fine arts.
General Education Requirements
Courses that meet the general education requirements in writing, quantitative thinking, internationalism and U.S. identities and differences will be posted on the Registrar's web page in advance of registration for each semester.
Additional information regarding the general distribution requirement and the general education requirements can be found in the graduation requirements section of this catalog.
Recent examples include: The Horror Film: History, Politics, and Theory; The River, the Gulf, and the Ocean; Blackness and Images; Oppositional Cinemas: Experiment and Critique through the Moving Image; Camera as Witness? The Role of Images in the Social Construction of Truth; Living in the Anthropocene: Earth in the Age of Humans. To be announced at registration. (4 credits)
The department offers independent study options in the form of tutorials, independent projects, internships, preceptorships and Honors independent projects. For more information contact the department and review the Curriculum section of the catalog.
Media and Cultural Studies Major
A major in Media and Cultural Studies consists of 11 courses, distributed as follows:
Four (4) Foundational courses:
- MCST 110 - Texts and Power: Foundations of Media and Cultural Studies
- MCST 128 - Film Analysis/Visual Culture
- MCST 160 - Culture Power Difference
- MCST 202 - Global Media Industries or MCST 126 - Local News Media Institutions
- MCST 621, MCST 622 MCST 623, MCST 624 - Internship
- Both graded and "pass-fail" internships are acceptable
Four (4) Electives:
- In addition to the seven (7) required courses the major plan will include four (4) electives
- At least three (3) of these electives are courses offered by the department
- No more than one (1) of these electives can be earned from a Study Away/Study Aborad program
Media Studies Minor
A minor in Media Studies consists of 5 courses, distributed as follows:
One (1) Foundational course:
- Any one of the following courses fulfill this reqiurement:
Four (4) Electives:
In addition to the one (1) Foundational required course, the minor plan will include four (4) electives
At least three (3) of these electives are courses offered by the department
No more than one (1) of these electives can be earned from a Study Away/Study Abroad program