Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can do summer research?
- How do I find summer research opportunities?
- When should I begin looking for a research opportunity?
- Who should I talk to about finding a position? Who can help me find a position?
- What is included in an application for a summer research position?
- Who can help me with my resume and cover letter?
- Will I be paid if I am a student researcher?
- Will I get academic credit if I do summer research?
- I think I want to go to medical school. Should I do summer research?
- What happens at a poster session? Should I attend the Macalester poster session if I have not conducted summer research?
- How do I ask for a letter of recommendation?
- Are there funds available for students to travel to national academic meetings?
- Where can international students find off-campus research positions?
Things to Do
- Sept: Complete poster and print poster for poster session
- Oct: Attend the poster session on Oct and the talks by the distinguished alumni
Reflections from Alumni in Biomedicine
- Karla Ballman ’83, PhD
Weill Cornell Medical College
- Gautam Dantas ’00, PhD
Washington University School of Medicine
- Robert Desimone ’74, PhD
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Brooks Edwards ’78, MD
- Douglas Osmon ’82, MD
- Lisa Peterson ’81, PhD
University of Minnesota
- Martha Sarpong ’97, PhD
- Myra (Kueker) Wick ’86, MD, PhD