In developing our collections, our primary mission is to support the current curricular, teaching, and research information needs of our faculty and students. Our collections include print materials as well as digital collections. As a small liberal arts college library, we cannot own everything that is needed, but we have partnerships that allow us to expand access to resources through Interlibrary Loan, our membership in HathiTrust as well as the Center for Research Libraries. For more information on our collections see our page on Collections Management and Policy and visit the Library Representatives page to see a list of departmental faculty that advise on collection development.
Keep up-to-date with our collections – Quarterly Collections Newsletter
- Collections Newsletter, Spring 2018
- Collections Newsletter, Summer 2018, Issue 2
- Collections Newsletter, Fall 2018, Issue 3
- Collections Newsletter, Winter (December 2018), Issue 4
Ongoing Collection Management Project
We have an ongoing review of our collections in order to maintain adequate space and keep the collections current. Information about our Collections Management Project will be found on our Library Guide Library Collection Review.
DeWitt Wallace Library is no longer accepting donations of printed books or journals. There are three exceptions to this policy:
- The College Archives welcomes materials that document the origins, developments, activities, achievements and people of the College.
- Donations of unique and rare materials will continue to be accepted and reviewed by our Archivist and Special Collections Librarian.
- The Library welcomes donations of new books authored by Macalester faculty, staff and alumni.
We do provide a means for those who are interested to Donate Books for a Cause – Better World Books