Library Research Instruction Sessions
Research & Instruction Librarians offer a variety of instructional opportunities to meet faculty, staff, and student needs.
"Students should develop the ability to use information and communication resources effectively, be adept at critical, analytical and logical thinking, and express themselves well in oral and written forms."
From Macalester Statement of Purpose and Belief
All first year students receive basic instruction in using our library resources. However, students often need more targeted instruction, particularly for sophomore/juniors starting work in their majors, and for students working on capstone projects. We offer a variety of instruction opportunities including guest lectures, workshops with archival materials, one-on-one research consultations and course-integrated instruction.
Taught by your Research & Instruction Liaison Librarian, these sessions are developed with faculty to meet the specific needs for a particular course. Appropriate for all levels of students, the instruction may vary from the basics to the advanced.
Held during your regular class time, this is an in-depth, hands-on session with discipline-specific library resources, integrated with course assignments. It goes beyond the basics covered in first-year courses to concentrate on scholarly communication and information within a discipline.
The specifics of the session will depend on the needs of the faculty and students. Past instruction sessions have included:
- Narrowing topics
- Selecting and using appropriate resources
- Primary, secondary and tertiary sources
- Academic integrity
- Citation management
- Copyright and intellectual property
- Open access and scholarly communication models
- Our schedule fills rapidly, especially in the fall, so please schedule early and be flexible about dates
- It is best to schedule the session(s) to coincide with a library research project.
- We often collaborate with faculty on developing the class research project Contact your Liaison Librarian for additional information.
Request a Course-Integrated Session (You will be contacted by your Liaison Librarian. Macalester Faculty & Staff Only)