Before you register for classes, you will need to obtain your four digit PIN from your primary advisor–this PIN allows you to register for classes beginning at your designated start day and time. Instructions on how to register in 1600grand are located at the bottom of this page. For additional registration information, see our Registration Tips and FAQs.
Fall 2021 registration begins April 19
Fall 2021 registration ends on April 30 at 4:30pm CST
|Classification||Earned Credits||Start Date and Time|
|Seniors||at least 96 credits earned||April 19: see registration time-table|
|Juniors||64 – 95.9 credits earned||April 20: see registration time-table|
|Sophomores||32 – 63.9 credits earned||April 22: see registration time-table|
|First Year||less than 31.9 credits earned||April 26: see registration time-table|
See the Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines:
- Classes Begin on Wednesday, September 1
- Add/Drop period is September 1 – 10
- Grading option designation will open with the release of mid-term grades and continue through the last day of classes, Friday, December 10
Things to Remember
You will be charged a $100 late fee (and have to wait until the start of the semester) if you do not register by April 30 at 4:30pm CST. Pay close attention to your registration start time and the registration deadline. Confirm your registration in 1600grand by the deadline.
Hold on to your PIN as it is required during the entire registration process. A PIN is no longer required at the start of the semester, during Add/Drop.
If you have questions about registration, please email us at [email protected].
ACTC Courses must be registered using the Macalester Cross-Registration form.
Independent projects, (611-614), Honors independent projects (641-644) and tutorials (601-604) require the Independent Project/Tutorial Registration Form. Once you have settled on the details with your sponsor, please submit the form to [email protected] and cc your sponsor and chair for their response approving the form.
Internship contracts are available at the Internship Office and registrations must be approved by the Director of the Internship Program.
Preceptorship learning contracts are available at the Office of Academic Programs and Advising, and registrations must be approved by the Director of Academic Programs.
You cannot register for more than 18 credits via 1600grand. If you want to register for more than 18 credits, you must contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information. No student can register for more than 20 credits. You may find fee information in the college catalog.
- Advising. Before you can register for fall you must meet with your primary adviser. When your adviser is satisfied that you have met your advising obligations, they will give you a PIN (four digits for fall and six digits for spring). You will need your PIN for the registration process–be sure to hang on to it.
- Start date/time. Go to the Registration Times page to determine the first time you can register. Your start date is determined by your current classification, based on earned credits. You have from that start date until the last day of registration to register and make changes. Once registration ends you will not be able to make changes until the start of the semester.
- Registration: On the Student page of 1600grand, click Enter Registration, under the Registration header.
- Plan Ahead: If you like, you can create an optional plan. Once your registration start time comes, you can use this plan to skip the step of looking up classes when you are trying to register.
- After clicking Plan Ahead, you can click create a new plan. Search for classes and add sections to your plan.
- Register for Classes.
- Once your registration start time has arrived, click Enter Registration.
- Click the Plan Ahead tab and add your plan.
- Click submit in the lower-right to attempt to register for your plan.
- Review the results to be sure you are in the courses you intended and to add other courses if a planned course has filled, etc.
- If you did not create a plan, search for courses to add and then submit those added courses in the lower-right.