First-Year Students Course Selection
Step 1: Rank your top 4 First-Year Courses (FYCs)
- Check out the list of First-Year Courses
- Rank FYC preferences from 1 to 4.
- List these four on the top of the Fall 2023 Course Selection form in rank order. The form is available in the New Student Portal https://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal.
- Provide any special considerations in the comments section, including anticipated credit from AP/IB exams, majors/minors you are considering, etc.
- You will be enrolled in one of the four listed. Once you are placed in an FYC, no changes can be made, so be certain you are comfortable with any of the four courses listed.
- You will be notified in late July 2023 via email as to which FYC you have been enrolled.
Step 2: Provide us with 12 non-FYC courses you want to take
- Find courses in fields you are considering. Check out the Department and Program Recommendations for First-Year Students.
- Read about the best ways to explore the major, minor, or concentration as well as information on placement. Contact information is provided for each department and program should you have questions.
- Take a look at the Fall 2023 Class Schedule to find out what courses are offered. Find out about a course’s prerequisites and course sequencing in the College Catalog. For audition and registration information related to ensembles, choirs, and private studio lessons, please contact the individual instructor for ensembles/choirs, and the Music Dept Coordinator for private studio lessons. Registration rosters are created directly within the Music Department for all of these activities, which will then get relayed to the Registrar’s Office a couple weeks into the semester. You will see the addition of your activity on your registration at that time.
- One course in your first semester must carry the argumentative writing (WA) or writing as craft (WC) designation. Most FYCs will carry this designation, but be sure to include courses with this designation in your course plan if several of your FYC choices are not WA or WC designated.
- Submit the Fall 2023 Course Selection form, which includes your FYC preferences and 12 non-FYC preferences. The form is available in the New Student Portal, https://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal. The form is due on June 21, 2023.
See Frequently Asked Questions
View Academic Course Selection Zoom Panel Recording
Academic Programs and Advising