First-Year Students Course Selection
Step 1: Rank your top 4 First-Year Courses (FYCs)
- Check out the list of First-Year Courses
- Rank FYC preferences from 1 to 4.
- List these four on the top of the Fall Course Registration Choices form in rank order. The form is available in the New Student Portal http://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal.
- Provide any special considerations in the comments section, including anticipated credit from AP/IB exams, majors/minors you are considering, etc.
- You will be enrolled in one of the four listed. Once you are placed in an FYC, no changes can be made, so be certain you are comfortable with any of the four courses listed.
- You will be notified in late July 2022 via email as to which FYC you have been enrolled.
Step 2: Develop a plan for the rest of your Fall 2022 schedule
- Find courses in fields you are considering. Check out the Department and Program Recommendations for First-Year Students.
- Read about the best ways to explore the major, minor, or concentration as well as information on placement. Contact information is provided for each department and program should you have questions.
- Take a look at the Fall 2022 Class Schedule to find out what courses are offered. Find out about a course’s prerequisites and course sequencing in the College Catalog. For audition and registration information related to ensembles, choirs, and private studio lessons, please contact the individual instructor for ensembles/choirs, and the Music Dept Coordinator (Kate Roarty) for private studio lessons. Registration rosters are created directly within the Music Department for all of these activities, which will then get relayed to the Registrar’s Office a couple weeks into the semester. You will see the addition of your activity on your registration at that time.
- One course in your first semester must carry a argumentative writing (WA) or writing as craft (WC) designation. Most FYCs will carry this designation, but be sure to include courses with this designation in your course plan if several of your FYC choices are not WA or WC designated.
- Submit the Fall Course Registration Choices form, which includes your FYC preferences, your ideal course plan for the rest of your schedule and back-ups. The form is available in the New Student Portal, http://admissions.macalester.edu/newstudentportal. The form is due on June 22, 2022.
- Staff from Academic Programs and Advising will contact you during the FYC placement process if they have suggestions/questions about the non-FYC portion of your Fall 2022 course plan.
See Frequently Asked Questions
Academic Programs and Advising