These faculty teach courses related to Critical Theory. Links direct you to profile pages in their home department.
David Chioni Moore
Director, Critical Theory; Associate Professor, International Studies and English; Interim Chair of International Studies
- Literary interactions in the Black Atlantic world, notably Africa, the Caribbean, and African America; post-colonial and/as the post-Soviet; comparative literature; cultural theory; globalization.
Associate Professor and Chair
- Focuses on film and media theory, documentary and avant-garde cinema, critical theory and cultural studies, film and video production, and critical political economy
- Focuses on 18th-century French literature, Enlightenment political and moral philosophy, colonialism, and critical theory
Professor of History and Latin American Studies
- Andes, cultural history, art and architecture, transnationalism, cartography, transhemispheric imaginaries, urban history, colonial narratives and nostalgia, and Amazonia
Associate Professor and Chair of Russian Studies
- Specializes in nineteenth- and twentieth-century Russian literature and culture
Professor, Religious Studies
- Current focus: collective and ritual creativity associated with social protest movements in urban Cambodia and Southeast Asia
Associate Dean, Institute for Global Citizenship; Associate Professor, Anthropology; Latin American Studies Program
- Cultural anthropology, memory and secrecy, truth and reconciliation, violence and subjectivity, Latin America
Edith M. Kelso Associate Professor, Art History
- Focuses on modern and contemporary art, particularly in Europe and the United States
Associate Professor (On sabbatical 22-23)
- Is a theorist and practitioner of new media, who has published widely and created interactive installations and projects at museums and galleries around the world.
A. Kiarina Kordela
Professor and Chair of German Studies
- Focuses on critical theory, philosophy, literature and literary theory, intellectual history, critical political economy, psychoanalysis, political theory, film theory, analysis of ideology, and biopolitics
Adjunct Professor, Philosophy
- Focuses on the philosophy of mind and language in the context of both Western and Indian philosophical traditions
Professor of Political Science
- International relations; regional conflict and security; foreign policy; political thought
Professor, German and Russian Studies
- Focuses on comparative literature, literary theory, culture from the 18th century to the present, philosophy, and literature written in German by “foreign”-language authors
Visiting Assistant Professor, German Studies
- Critical and literary theory; environmental humanities; visual and media studies; intersections of philosophy, politics, and art
Professor of Sociology
- Focuses on world historical-comparative and urban sociology, globalization, sociology of religion, and modes of identities in the Middle East
Professor Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and English
- Feminist and literary theories; cultural studies of globalization as it intersects with nationalism, democracy, and imperialism; “minoritized” literatures, with a transnational comparative basis in Western Europe and Asia.
Professor and Chair
- Focuses on 20th-21st-century French and francophone literature and culture; Haitian literature and culture; French and Francophone Cinema; Postcolonial identities; Immigration; Violence in France and the francophone world.