Insurance and Billing
ContactLaurie Hamre Center for Health & Wellness
Leonard Center Room 53 651-696-6275
Insurance Coverage Requirements
Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage.
A Few Important Notes for All Students
The College views adequate health insurance as key to supporting student capacity to be healthy and fully engaged in the educational experience. Health insurance is required when seeking health care services off-campus and when participating in intercollegiate athletics. We can’t always anticipate healthcare needs and just one serious illness or accident can create significant financial hardship, seriously derailing a student’s ability to continue their studies.
Navigating Health Insurance in the US is extremely complicated. Period. We hope these resources can help answer some of your questions and support you in accessing care through your insurance plan.
- All students may use the Hamre Center services no matter what insurance they have.
- Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage. All Macalester students must verify every year that they carry comprehensive health insurance. All students are initially billed for the plan; the charge is removed only when the student has gone online and waived out.
For Students Enrolled in the Macalester-Offered United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR) Health Insurance
Summary of Student Health Insurance Coverage (Summary of Benefits)
SUMMARY OF STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE (PDF) – This document summarizes your coverage. Skip to page 2 for costs and coverage details; please note that the plan’s total cost does not include the $35 admin fee which will be added when you go to student accounts. The Hamre Center highly encourages students to read the whole summary as it contains answers to MANY questions about your insurance. It is lengthy, but also a true summary of the most important information. If you have questions (very understandable), the help line listed next can be a great resource for understanding coverage further, or asking questions about specific providers and costs.
I have questions about the UHCSR health plan?
Please connect with our insurance broker Gallagher Student Health for support with health insurance questions. Gallagher Student Health customer service is available via phone, live chat, or email form. They can answer your questions about what is covered, who is in network, approximate costs, etc.
Instructions for Obtaining Your Macalester-Offered UHCSR Health Insurance Card
Follow these directions:
- Go to UHCSR sign in.
- If you already have a UHCSR account, please sign in. However, if you have never signed into the UHCSR portal before, click on the “Register Now” link and enter the required information. This will include details such as your legal name, date of birth, and student ID number.
- Once logged in, you can access ID cards, claim information, EOBs, and other plan-related information.
Additional Information about UHCSR plan
The plan provides coverage to students anywhere in the US. For additional information about coverage and and for questions specifically regarding coverage for COVID-19, please visit United Healthcare Student Resources.
If you’re on the Macalester-offered UHCSR insurance plan and have questions, visit the Health Insurance FAQ (PDF).
Nearly all services at the Hamre Center are provided at no charge. However, there are some things that students without the United Healthcare student insurance will be charged out of pocket. Examples include:
- Lab tests (except pregnancy tests and urine dipstick tests, which are free)
- Prescription medications/Emergency Contraception
- Physical Exams
- A few procedures (ear irrigation, suture removal, etc.)
- Supplies like splints, wraps
Here is a Hamre Center list of charges (Google Doc) for procedures, labs, medications, and equipment. Remember, there is no charge for an office visit. Talk to your medical provider about what tests and medications are recommended so that you can make an informed decision.
What to do if you incur a charge?
What happens If you have insurance other than the Macalester-offered UHCSR plan?
- The charge will be put directly on your Macalester student account, identified only as “Health Service Charge”. You are responsible for paying the balance on your Macalester account. Check with Student Accounts Office if you have questions about payment on your account. Note: charges applied to your Macalester account will accrue interest if not paid in a timely fashion.
- The insurance specialist Nicola Michael-Tsai will email an itemized statement in 7-10 business days from the date of service. Students can submit their itemized statements to their insurance company for reimbursement. Go to your health insurance company’s website to get specific instructions and forms.
- Or, you can pay the charge directly at the Hamre Center via check or cash.
What happens if you have the UHCSR insurance plan?
- All costs incurred at the Hamre Center are covered at 100%.
- No charges are applied to your student account.
- The Hamre Center will submit your charges to UHCSR – payment will come back directly to the Hamre Center to cover the charges.
What if I have questions or problems about what I have been charged for?
- Check in with our insurance specialist Nicola Michael-Tsai either by stopping by the office or by email them at [email protected]
- Note: Charges applied to your Macalester Student Account will accure interest if not paid in a timely fashion.
Please get in touch with our insurance specialist, Nicola Michael-Tsai (she/they), at [email protected] if you have additional questions.
Updated February 2024 Nicola Michael-Tsai