Learning and Building Community During COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has required a re-envisioning of teaching and learning, new approaches to working, and creative solutions to help us find community when we are separated by distance. We are making this change together and we are finding strength in our community.
- Effective May 18, Governor Walz has replaced the stay at home order for Minnesotans with a stay safe order that asks residents to stay close to home and limit travel to what is essential. The order allows gathering with friends and family in groups of 10 or less with social distancing and appropriate use of face masks and hand-washing measures.
- We are monitoring guidance from government and health agencies and are actively engaged in planning. In mid-April, President Rosenberg and Provost Moe shared an update on planning for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- While Macalester continues to be deeply committed to the value of study away, the college has determined that we cannot confidently and safely support study away for the fall semester of 2020. Given health and safety concerns, as well as the lack of clarity around the effects of the virus on travel in the months ahead, we will not permit participation in fall 2020 study away programs.
- The CDC has a Coronavirus Self-Checker. Start here if you think you may be sick.
- Thanks to those of you who’ve asked how to support students. You can make a gift to the Macalester Fund, which provides critical flexible support that can be deployed rapidly wherever it’s needed. Gifts will help our students with unanticipated expenses and help every campus department reimagine remote student support and programming.
- Our Impacted Events/Travel Information page includes the latest updates on campus events. All in-person, on-campus Reunion 2020 events (including the James Wallace Society dinner) have been canceled. We are looking at alternate ways of celebrating Reunion and will share details soon. Our traditional, in-person Commencement will not be held; we are finalizing plans for an online Commencement experience and have shared details with our graduating seniors.
- Many employees are working remotely, with the goal of limiting the number of people on campus. Many college buildings are closed. Additional details are available in updates sent to the Macalester community.
- For students or parents of current students: Have a question that isn’t answered in our FAQ or on this site? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For alumni: Have a question that isn’t answered in our FAQ or on this site? Please email us at email@example.com