Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage.
Enrollment is open! If you have health care coverage, you will need to complete the required online “waiver” by entering your current health insurance coverage. If you do not have adequate health care coverage you will need to “enroll” in the plan offered by the college, which is United Healthcare Student Resource Insurance. *Not all plans are considered comparable, such as out-of-state Medicaid plans or regional HMOs.
The premium cost for the UHCSR Insurance Plan for the 2021 – 2022 Academic year is $3,063.00. This charge has been billed to your first tuition statement through the Student Accounts Office, once you complete the online waiver, Student Accounts will remove the cost. If you enroll in the UHCSR plan, the cost will remain on your account. The coverage period for the UHCSR plan is from August 20, 2021 through August 19, 2022.
To complete the online “enroll” or “waive out” process online, follow these directions:
- Go to Gallagherstudent.com/Macalester
- If you are using a computer, you can click on “Student Waive/Enroll” from the Student Access section (left-hand side). If you are using a mobile device, expand Quick Links to display Student Access and “Student Waive/Enroll”.
- Login using your Macalester College email address as your User ID and your Macalester College ID # as your password. Once you have logged into the system for the first time, you will be prompted to reset your password. Gallagher will send a secure link to your Macalester email address which will serve as identity verification and allow you to complete the process.
- Select either the “Waive” or “Enroll” button.
If you are waiving the insurance plan, you will need to have your current insurance card in front of you, as you will need the information found on your current insurance card to complete the process. After completing the online form, you will be asked to review the information provided and click “Submit” to complete the process. Immediately after submitting the online form, you will receive a reference number and a confirmation email sent to your Macalester email address.
If you are enrolling in the United Healthcare Student Resource Insurance plan, complete the enrollment process as instructed above. Completing the enrollment process now will begin your paperwork process more quickly, and the charge will remain on your account.
The deadline to complete this process in August 27, 2021.
- If you have United Healthcare Student Resources through Macalester: there is no change in coverage with the move to remote classes. The plan provides coverage to students across the nation. If students have questions specifically regarding coverage for COVID-19, they can visit this website: https://www.uhcsr.com.
- All students may use the Hamre Center services no matter what insurance they have.
- Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage. All Macalester students must verify every year that they carry comprehensive health insurance. All students are initially billed for the plan; the charge is removed only when the student has gone online and waived out.
The College views adequate health insurance as key to supporting student capacity to be healthy and fully engaged in the educational experience. Health insurance is required when seeking health care services off-campus and when participating in intercollegiate athletics. We can’t always anticipate healthcare needs and just one serious illness or accident can create significant financial hardship, seriously derailing a student’s ability to continue their studies.
Health Insurance FAQ
Nearly all services at the Hamre Center are provided at no charge. However, there are some things that students will be charged out of pocket. Examples include:
- Lab tests (except pregnancy tests, which are free)
- Prescription medications/EC
- A few procedures (ear irrigation, suture removal, etc.)
- Supplies like splints, wraps
Here is a complete list of charges for
procedures, labs, medications, and equipment.
Remember, there is no charge for an office visit.
Talk to your medical provider about what tests and medications are recommended so that you can make an informed decision.
What to do if you incur a charge?
If you have insurance other than the Macalester-offered plan:
- The charge will be put directly on your Macalester student account, identified only as “Health Service Charge”. You are responsible for paying the balance on your Macalester account. There are various ways to pay your bill, including using a credit card on e-bill. Check with the Business Office if you have questions about payment on your account. Note: charges applied to your Macalester account will accrue interest if not paid in a timely fashion.
- Or, you can pay the charge directly at the Hamre Center via check or cash.
EITHER WAY, ask the Hamre Center front desk for an itemized statement to submit to your insurance for reimbursement. You can then send it to your insurance company and they will pay you directly any amount that they cover. Go to your health insurance company’s website to get specific instructions and forms.
If you have the United Healthcare Student Resources insurance plan:
- All costs incurred at the Hamre Center are covered at 100%.
- No charges are applied to your student account.
- The Hamre Center will submit your charges to United Healthcare Student Resources – payment will come back directly to the Hamre Center to cover the charges.
If you have questions or problems with what you have been charged for, check-in with the Hamre Center. 651-696-6275.