All students may use the Hamre Center services no matter what insurance they have.
Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage. All Macalester students must verify every year that they carry comprehensive health insurance. All students are initially billed for the plan; the charge is removed only when the student has gone online and waived out.
The College views adequate health insurance as key to supporting student capacity to be healthy and fully engaged in the educational experience. Health insurance is required when seeking health care services off-campus and when participating in intercollegiate athletics. We can’t always anticipate healthcare needs and just one serious illness or accident can create significant financial hardship, seriously derailing a student’s ability to continue their studies.
Enroll or Waive Out of Macalester-Offered Health Insurance
There is a limited period during the summer that all students (new and returning) must enroll in or waive out of the Macalester-offered insurance. Students newly admitted or returning to campus in spring term are able to enroll up to mid-January, with coverage for spring and summer.
To enroll in the plan or waive out, visit the Macalester Health Insurance Portal.
Students who are on a state Medicaid plan or who experience a change in status with existing personal or family insurance coverage should contact Sue Rothenbacher, our insurance specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Insurance FAQ
Nearly all services at the Hamre Center are provided at no charge. However, there are some things that students will be charged out of pocket. Examples include:
- Lab tests (except pregnancy tests, which are free)
- Prescription medications/EC
- A few procedures (ear irrigation, suture removal, etc.)
- Supplies like splints, wraps
Here is a complete list of charges for
procedures, labs, medications, and equipment.
Remember, there is no charge for an office visit.
Talk to your medical provider about what tests and medications are recommended so that you can make an informed decision.
What to do if you incur a charge?
If you have insurance other than the Macalester-offered plan:
- The charge will be put directly on your Macalester student account, identified only as “Health Service Charge”. You are responsible for paying the balance on your Macalester account. There are various ways to pay your bill, including using a credit card on e-bill. Check with the Business Office if you have questions about payment on your account. Note: charges applied to your Macalester account will accrue interest if not paid in a timely fashion.
- Or, you can pay the charge directly at the Hamre Center via check or cash.
EITHER WAY, ask the Hamre Center front desk for an itemized statement to submit to your insurance for reimbursement. You can then send it to your insurance company and they will pay you directly any amount that they cover. Go to your health insurance company’s web site to get specific instructions and forms.
If you have the Macalester-offered insurance plan:
- All costs incurred at the Hamre Center are covered at 100%.
- No charges are applied to your student account.
- The Hamre Center will submit your charges to United Healthcare Student Resources – payment will come back directly to the Hamre Center to cover the charges.
If you have questions or problems with what you have been charged for, check-in with the Hamre Center. 651-696-6275.