Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage.
Time to Complete the Online Process of Enrolling or Waiving Out
All Macalester students must verify every year that they carry comprehensive health insurance. All students are initially billed for the plan; the charge is removed only when the student has gone online and waived out.
During the period of July 8th through August 21st all students must complete the online process to enroll or waive out of the United Healthcare Student Resources insurance. If you do not waive out, you will be automatically enrolled in the United Healthcare Student Resources insurance.
To enroll in the plan or waive out, visit the Macalester Health Insurance Portal.
Students who are on a state Medicaid plan or who experience a change in status with existing personal or family insurance coverage should contact Sue Rothenbacher, our insurance specialist, at email@example.com.
All new international students coming to campus are required to enroll in the college-offered policy. The pandemic and problems experienced by some students in the past several years with sub-optimal plans are the basis for this decision. Again, questions can go to Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have United Healthcare Student Resources through Macalester: there is no change in coverage with the move to remote classes. The plan provides coverage to students across the nation. If students have questions specifically regarding coverage for COVID-19, they can visit this website: https://www.uhcsr.com.
- All students may use the Hamre Center services no matter what insurance they have.
- Macalester College requires all students to provide proof of comprehensive, ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Please review the requirements for health insurance coverage. All Macalester students must verify every year that they carry comprehensive health insurance. All students are initially billed for the plan; the charge is removed only when the student has gone online and waived out.
The College views adequate health insurance as key to supporting student capacity to be healthy and fully engaged in the educational experience. Health insurance is required when seeking health care services off-campus and when participating in intercollegiate athletics. We can’t always anticipate healthcare needs and just one serious illness or accident can create significant financial hardship, seriously derailing a student’s ability to continue their studies.
2020 Grads & students on leave Fall 2020
Due to these unprecedented times, UHCSR has made the decision to allow current members an opportunity to extend coverage through the Fall period, once their summer coverage expires AND if they are not returning in the fall or not meeting eligibility requirements. This enrollment method is meant for current members who WILL NOT be eligible in the Fall for the student health insurance program. If you graduated in 2020 or are taking a leave of absence for Fall 2020, you should have received a letter with information about this option. You would enroll directly with UHCSR, not Macalester. You have the opportunity to buy additional coverage if your payment is received by UHCSR by 09/19/2020. If you did not receive a letter or have questions, contact Sue Rothenbacher (email@example.com).
Health Insurance FAQ
Nearly all services at the Hamre Center are provided at no charge. However, there are some things that students will be charged out of pocket. Examples include:
- Lab tests (except pregnancy tests, which are free)
- Prescription medications/EC
- A few procedures (ear irrigation, suture removal, etc.)
- Supplies like splints, wraps
Here is a complete list of charges for
procedures, labs, medications, and equipment.
Remember, there is no charge for an office visit.
Talk to your medical provider about what tests and medications are recommended so that you can make an informed decision.
What to do if you incur a charge?
If you have insurance other than the Macalester-offered plan:
- The charge will be put directly on your Macalester student account, identified only as “Health Service Charge”. You are responsible for paying the balance on your Macalester account. There are various ways to pay your bill, including using a credit card on e-bill. Check with the Business Office if you have questions about payment on your account. Note: charges applied to your Macalester account will accrue interest if not paid in a timely fashion.
- Or, you can pay the charge directly at the Hamre Center via check or cash.
EITHER WAY, ask the Hamre Center front desk for an itemized statement to submit to your insurance for reimbursement. You can then send it to your insurance company and they will pay you directly any amount that they cover. Go to your health insurance company’s web site to get specific instructions and forms.
If you have the Macalester-offered insurance plan:
- All costs incurred at the Hamre Center are covered at 100%.
- No charges are applied to your student account.
- The Hamre Center will submit your charges to United Healthcare Student Resources – payment will come back directly to the Hamre Center to cover the charges.
If you have questions or problems with what you have been charged for, check-in with the Hamre Center. 651-696-6275.