Health Insurance Coverage for 2016-2017

Macalester College requires ALL students show proof of comprehensive ACA-compliant personal health insurance coverage. Health insurance is NOT required to use the health and wellness services offered at the college but is needed for any care or service off-campus and to participate in intercollegiate athletics. 

Health Services strongly advises students to check their existing policy to determine if they meet the following requirements for Macalester:

  • My plan provides unlimited coverage while in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
  • My plan provides access to local doctors, specialists, hospitals and other health care providers in emergency and non-emergency situations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
  • My plan provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient hospitalizations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
  • My plan provides coverage for labwork, diagnostic x-rays, ambulance services, and prescription medications in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
  • My plan provides coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health, substance abuse services in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
  • My plan covers injuries related to alcohol and drug use, suicide attempts, and athletic participation.
  • Short-term plans for specific student groups must be reviewed and approved by the Health & Wellness office ahead of time.  Generally, these plans have not provided adequate coverage in the past, costing students significant time and money when all is said and done. Plans through family insurance, independent plans found on state or federal health insurance web sites are more likely to meet Macalester's requirements.

For Students on the United Healthcare Plan

United HealthCare Student Resources is pleased to be your student health insurance provider.

You can access your benefit plan information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at MyAccount provides online access to coverage information, claim status, the ability to print or view your ID Card, or request a permanent card. You may also use MyAccount to provide accident details, update other insurance information (if applicable), or assign a personal representative. 

Instead of printing and mailing Explanation of Benefits and other claims related correspondence, we will place digital copies in the Message Center and notify you via email that there is a new document waiting for you to view. We know that school and work can keep you busy, but, if you have not registered for MyAccount, you will not have access to Message Center.

Please take a moment and register today for MyAccount at It literally takes less than a minute to complete. 

Once you have MyAccount ready to go, you will be able to access Claims Status, ID Cards and Provider Lookup on your smartphone.  Less paper, less hassle, quicker access when and where you want it from United HealthCare Student Resources.

Policy Questions

Questions?  Call us at 1-800-767-0700.  We are available to help Monday through Friday from 7AM-7PM, CST.  Or you may contact Sue Rothenbacher in Health and Wellness Monday through Thursday at 651-696-6199 or via email at   

Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk 

Health and wellness Center Charge Policy

When you are seen by one of our health care providers, you are not charged for an office visit.

You will only be charged if you receive any prescription medications, lab/blood tests, vaccinations, and simple procedures. These charges are then billed to your account through the Student Accounts Office.

Itemized statements are available by signing a request form, which is available at the HWC front desk. These itemized statements may be submitted to your own insurance company for reimbursement. If you are enrolled in the United Healthcare Insurance plan through the college, these charges will be submitted to United Healthcare Insurance for you. 

Traveling Abroad?

Travel Insurance Information
Suggestions on addressing your health insurance and travel assistance needs. If you have the United Healthcare Insurance Student Policy, it provides excellent coverage through Frontier Medex for medical evacuation/repatriation and emergency return home in the case of death or serious illness of a parent or sibling.

Paying Medical Bills

You may have submitted those medical charges to insurance but until the insurance pays your health care provider, YOU are responsible! If you ignore the bills, they can send you to collection - not fun and hard on your credit rating. And even if your parents are the ones taking responsibility for those bills, if providers aren't paid, it is YOUR name that is on everything. Talk to the provider and if necessary, arrange for small monthly payments.