Primary care services are provided for degree-seeking, currently registered Macalester students. If you need care and the Hamre Center is closed, please visit Urgent and Emergency Care. If this is an emergency, please dial 911. 

Making an Appointment

As a reminder, at this time the Laurie Hamre Center for Health and Wellness is asking that only students who have scheduled appointments enter the clinic. Our door will be shut to discourage people from walking in to minimize potential virus exposure for both students and staff.

This means that students should call to schedule appointments and not simply drop by. The phone number is 651-696-6275. Do not email for an appointment request. Appointments with medical and counseling providers are still being offered.

Coming Soon: Starting Spring 2022 Online scheduling for Medical Appointments.


Macalester College has established immunization requirements for its students to maintain the health and safety of our community. Students can enter immunization information in the patient portal or

Where is the Macalester Patient Portal and how do I log in?

  1. Go to Macalester Patient Portal.
  2. Enter your Macalester username.
  3. Enter your Macalester password—it’s the same password you use to log into 1600grand.

Frequently Asked Questions

What medical services are available?

This list provides a general overview of the services that we offer.

Who can use these services?

Any degree-seeking, currently registered Macalester student may use our services, not just those on the “Macalester insurance.” We do not see faculty, staff, or alumni.

Do you do trans-affirming medical care?

Absolutely. Transgender and gender non-conforming people routinely face discrimination and misunderstanding from health care providers, which prevents many trans people from getting the health care they need. In our clinic, we are committed to providing comfortable, competent, and accessible care to our trans and gender non-conforming patients. Most of our providers can provide appropriate physical health care, including initiation of feminizing or masculinizing hormones (using an informed consent model), or recommendations for folks interested in pursuing surgery or other specialized treatment.

I  or my partner needs emergency contraception (EC). What do we do?

We provide non-prescription EC for $15 per dose. If you require EC outside of office hours it is available to any person 17 or over, of any gender, without a prescription from local pharmacies. Protip: you can buy a dose of EC before an emergency occurs and keep it in your room.

What does a medical visit cost?

There is no charge for most visits to see a medical provider. Physicals that require paperwork (study away, employment, athletic, pre-operative, for example) are an exception. Additionally, there is sometimes a charge for labs, procedures, and immunizations. See the Insurance and Billing for more on this topic. A reminder that for students on the Mac-offered  United Healthcare Student Resources insurance, all services received in the Hamre Center are covered at 100% with no out of pocket costs.

What type of medical providers do you have on staff?

The medical team is currently made up of this crew! We also host Family Medicine residents and Adolescent Medicine fellows from the University of Minnesota under the supervision of Dr. Steph.

Can I just walk into the Hamre Center and see a provider whenever I want?

Walk-in medical appointments, usually offered daily from 1-3 p.m., are not being offered at this time to minimize potential virus exposure for both students and staff.

What if I am late for my appointment?

If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment, you will likely be asked to reschedule out of respect for other students with appointments.

My study away program/job/sports team/surgery requires a physical, can that be done there?

Yes, but you may have to pay out of pocket. Current charge for physicals that include paperwork is $100. Like all Hamre Center charges, if you are on the Mac-offered USHCR, you won’t pay any of that fee out of pocket. If you are on outside insurance, you pay the charge to the Hamre Center (it will show up on your Macalester account) and then submit for reimbursement to your insurance company (call your insurance company first to ask if this is a covered service).

I need help getting medication.  Can you help?

All members of our medical provider staff can meet with you and either continue medications you started at home, initiate new prescriptions, or talk to you about ways to integrate medical and counseling care for your mental health. Learn more about mental health medication services.