The Social Sciences Institutional Review Board (SSIRB) operates as a subsidiary body and under the oversight of the Macalester Institutional Review Board.
SSIRB Information and Forms
- best practices for human subjects research during the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF)
- general purpose and composition of the SSIRB (PDF)
- guide to student research proposals (PDF)
- form for student research proposals (gform)
- SSIRB research form for developing answers (docx)
- sample consent form for student research proposals (docx)
- guide to faculty course protocols (PDF)
Student Research Proposal Submission Deadlines
Spring 2021 – Module 3
Spring 2021 – Module 4
April 30 2021
Student Instructions for Using the SSIRB Google Form
Step 1: Create an initial draft
- Gather all the information for your proposal by completing the SSIRB research form for developing answers (docx). This optional step will help you gather all the information you need to complete the form, so don’t skip it!
- Go to Student Research Proposal Form – Macalester Social Science Institutional Review Board Form (gform).
- All questions are required. Should you not know the answer to a question, enter placeholder text. You will be able to edit your responses after you submit the form.
- Do not upload preliminary versions on Additional Required Documentation page. Once uploaded, files cannot be deleted. Any documents uploaded at this time will count towards the total maximum number of files you may upload.
- Read carefully through the statements on several pages which you are required to understand, acknowledge, and accept by checking the checkbox.
- Agreement to notify Faculty Advisor and SSIRB of any changes or problems is the final page of the form. Check I affirm, agree with, and understand the statement above, enter Today’s Date and then click Submit.
- The form will send you an email containing all your responses, along with an Edit Response button/link.
Step 2: Edit and refine your draft
- Go to your Macalester email account and locate the Google Form’s Response Receipt from email@example.com.
- Click the EDIT RESPONSE.
- Navigate through the form to refine, edit, or add to the responses where needed.
- Make sure to navigate all the way to the final page so you can click the Submit button, saving the new information you entered.
- You will automatically receive Google Form Response Receipt email with the revised/updated version of the proposal.
Step 3: Share your proposal with your Faculty Advisor
- Forward the Google Form Response Receipt email containing the most recent draft of your proposal for your Faculty Advisor to review and provide feedback.
- Be sure to get feedback on materials and supplemental files including consent forms, sample recruitment materials, surveys, and schedule of interview questions and topics.
- Revise your proposal based on your Faculty Advisor’s feedback.
- Once again, locate the Google Form Response Receipt email and click the Edit Response.
- Enter your revisions and or additions.
- Upload the reviewed materials on the Additional Required Documentation page. You may either submit them as a single document containing all supplemental files or as separate documents.
- Click Submit to save.
Step 4: Complete and upload the Faculty Advisor Signature page to the Form
- Download and complete the Social Science Institutional Review Form Faculty Signature Page (PDF).
- Have your Faculty Advisor sign the page.
- Create a digital copy of the Faculty Advisor Signature Page by scan or digital photo.
- Upload a copy of the completed and signed Social Science Institutional Review Form Faculty Signature Page digital copy in the corresponding section of the form.
Step 5: Submit final version by the deadline
Submit a final version of your proposal no later than 5:00pm on the appropriate submission deadline.
Application Review Schedule
Please note that the SSIRB does not review submissions on a rolling basis nor review applications during the winter and summer breaks.
Assistant Professor, Political Science