Macalester’s Parent Council is composed of the parents of current students as well as a few alumni parents. Formed in 2006, the council serves a variety of roles, each with the common thread of fostering communication between Mac parents and an array of important constituencies.
It goes without saying that colleges must keep pace with the rapid changes inherent in our society today. Soliciting and listening to a wide array of ideas and opinions is a critical part of that effort and the Parent Council is one of the channels Macalester views as an important source of ideas and opinions from parents. It is an exciting time to witness the challenges shaping the ideas that move the college forward.
The Parent Council serves a number of purposes.
- We connect with the administration on important issues facing faculty and administrators and provide a unique perspective from parents’ points of view.
- We act as champions of Macalester College and support the college in key initiatives to move the Macalester mission forward.
- We support the admissions process in a number of ways. We talk to prospective parents and students about life and academics at Macalester. We also participate in and host receptions for new students and parents each summer.
- We act as ambassadors for Macalester by participating in regional and campus events for parents and students.
- We also encourage our members to support career networking and advice for students through the Macalester Career Development Center.
- We support the Macalester Fund annually and encourage other parents to give generously to Macalester.
We have two formal meetings on campus each year, one during the fall Family Fest weekend and one during spring semester. In addition to these formal meetings, we work throughout the year to enhance the student and family experience at Mac!
If you are interested in learning more about the parent council’s work and how you can be more involved in parent engagement at Mac, please contact Tony Saputo-Swanson, Associate Director of Parent Philanthropy and Engagement at email@example.com.
Thank you for being a part of the vibrant Macalester parent and family community!
Loren & Brian McCabe P’22
Co-Chairs, Macalester Parent Council