The MacFreeSwap is a free reusable item exchange run by the Macalester College Sustainability Office. It’s the place on campus to leave something you no longer need, or pick up re-purposed items you need — similar to a free store or a drop-off swap-off system. The FreeSwap has been helping Macalester achieve our Zero Waste by 2020 goal since 2008, emphasizing the “reuse” portion of “reduce, reuse, and recycle.” It diverts useful materials to the Mac community for reuse instead of sending items to a landfill.
The Free Swap is located on the first floor of Kagin Commons in the northeast corner of the building, nearest the restrooms. There are signs directing you to the FreeSwap next to the Sustainability Office. If you get lost, ask a Sustainability Office workers for directions.
The MacFreeSwap is open anytime the Kagin building is open.
When school is in session: Monday through Thursday – 8:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Friday – 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday – Closed
Sunday 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
When school is not in session: Monday through Thursday- 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Friday – 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Saturday and Sunday – Closed
- Only that can be reused by another individual should be left at the Free Swap. If you don’t want the thing you’re leaving because it’s in poor condition, the next person doesn’t either.
- Do not donate items that won’t fit on a bookshelf
- Do not use the FreeSwap as a dump
- Do not leave items outside Kagin if the building is not open
Accepted Free Swap Items
- Clothing, shoes, jewelry
- Blankets, linens, and towels
- Kitchen utensils and dishware
- Working electronics and small appliances
- Office or school supplies, including folders, notebooks, pencils, and pens
- Partial dispensable cosmetic products and toiletries
- Books, DVDs, CDs
- Non-perishable, unopened food
Unacceptable Free Swap Items
- Large items (anything that won’t fit on a bookshelf)
- Broken Items
- Heavily tattered or worn items
- Perishable food and drink