Can I enroll starting in the spring?

Students applying for transfer admission beginning spring term must have completed one semester of college as a full-time, degree-seeking student before the October 29 application deadline.

I’ve taken some college courses. Should I apply as a transfer student?

Only a student who has been enrolled at another college or university as full-time, degree-seeking students may apply as a transfer student. A student taking college courses while still in high school must apply as a first-year student.

How do I go about applying?

You must apply for admission by using the Common Application.

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $40.

What is the timeline for applying and when can I expect a decision?

All application materials for fall term admission should be received on or before April 15th. All application materials for spring term admission should be received on or before October 29. Decisions for fall enrollment will be mailed no later than May 15th. Decisions for spring enrollment will be mailed no later than November 19.

What if I have difficulty obtaining both required Faculty Recommendations?

If you have been out of college for more than one year and have difficulty obtaining an academic recommendation or if you have been in college for less than a year and would like permission to request a recommendation from one of your high school instructors, contact the Coordinator of Transfer Student Admissions at Macalester to explain your situation and discuss options.

How many credits can I transfer to Macalester? How can I find out if my credits will transfer?

You may transfer up to sixty-four credit hours to Macalester. In order to receive a Macalester degree you must complete two full years of coursework (sixty-four credit hours) at Macalester. To have your credits evaluated for transfer, email a transcript with a request for an evaluation to or mail an official transcript to - Registrar’s Office, 1600 Grand Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105.

Do you require standardized test scores as part of the application?

All applicants must submit test scores from either the SAT or ACT in order to complete their application. Applications will not be reviewed without test scores. Your test scores may be included on your high school transcript. If so, there is no need to request them from the testing service.

Is there housing for transfer students? Are transfer students required to stay in on-campus housing?

FALL: Macalester does not require transfer students to stay on campus. However, if a transfer student is interested in on-campus housing it may be available. If you are interested in on-campus housing you can let us know when you make your enrollment deposit. At that time we should be able to give you a sense of whether we will have space in the fall.

SPRING: Students who transfer to Macalester beginning spring term are required to live in on-campus housing for the first semester.

Do you have financial aid for Transfer students?

Macalester is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for every admitted student. If you are applying for financial aid, your financial aid application forms must be completed before we can review your application for admission. More information about financial aid and deadlines for submitting Financial Aid paperwork can be found on the financial aid web site.

How do I apply to take a class (or classes) as a non-degree-seeking student?

If you want to take classes at Macalester without enrolling as a full-time student you should contact the Registrar’s Office at or 651-696-6200.

What if I have other questions about applying to Macalester?

Once you have submitted your application you will receive a user name and password that will allow you to check the status of your application online.

All other questions may be directed to the Macalester Transfer Admissions staff:

Lisa Bramlet, Associate Director of Admissions and Coordinator for Transfer Admissions

1-800-231-7974 or 651-696-6358

FAX: 651-696-6724