International First-Year Applicants
Early Decision I
- Application Deadline November 15
- Priority for Financial Aid November 15
- Decision Notification December 15
- Applicant Reply Date January 15
Early Decision II
- Application Deadline January 1
- Priority for Financial Aid January 1
- Decision Notification February 1
- Applicant Reply Date February 15
- Application Deadline January 15
- Priority for Financial Aid January 15
- Decision Notification March 30
- Applicant Reply Date May 1
Application Checklist Items
Create a Common Application and choose Macalester for your college list.
If you wish to be considered for financial aid, you must indicate your interest when you apply via the Common Application. Financial Aid
$40 Application Fee
If you are eligible to receive a fee waiver based on financial hardship, indicate so when you complete your Common Application.
ACT or SAT
Submit scores from either the ACT or the SAT. Self-reported test scores will be accepted in the admissions process. Admitted students who decide to enroll will be required to submit official score reports. Macalester’s testing codes are 2122 (ACT) and 6390 (SAT). Testing Policy
Proof of English Proficiency
For students whose primary language is not English, Macalester requires submission of TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test scores. More TOEFL, IELTS and Duolingo information
Certification of Finances
We require the Certification of Finances form Finances (COF) and a bank statement from all international applicants, even if they are not applying for financial aid. A completed Certification of Finances form and bank statement can be uploaded to the applicant portal. International Forms
Optional Arts Portfolio
If you have made a substantial commitment to the arts in the areas of fine arts, music, theater or dance, you are welcome to submit samples in your applicant portal.
Checklist Items to Be Completed in the Common Application
Your counselor and teachers will be prompted to complete their portion of the following forms online via the Common Application process.
Early Decision Agreement
If you are applying Early Decision, the Early Decision Agreement certifies that Macalester is your first-choice college and agreement that, if admitted, you will enroll at Macalester and withdraw all other college applications. More about Early Decision
High School through Junior Year Transcript
Request that your secondary school(s) send Macalester official transcript(s) of all classes and grades beginning with 9th grade.
Request that your school counselor complete the School Report and Counselor Recommendation.
Two Academic Teacher Recommendations
Invite two teachers of core academic subjects (English, social studies, foreign language, mathematics, or science) to submit recommendations.
Mid-Year Report and First-Term Senior Year Grades
- Early Decision applicants must request that a school official (counselor or registrar) send us their first-term senior grades (e.g., first quarter or first trimester). When the marking period ends, students must ask school officials to also complete the Mid-Year Report and send us an updated transcript as soon as it becomes available.
- Regular Decision applicants must request that a school official (counselor or registrar) complete the Mid-Year Report and send us an updated transcript if senior year first-term grades are not on the initial transcript.