International First-Year Applicants
Early Decision I
- Application Deadline November 15
- Priority for Financial Aid November 15
- Decision Notification December 15
- Applicant Reply Date January 15
Early Decision II
- Application Deadline January 1
- Priority for Financial Aid January 1
- Decision Notification February 1
- Applicant Reply Date February 15
- Application Deadline January 15
- Priority for Financial Aid January 15
- Decision Notification March 30
- Applicant Reply Date June 1
Application Checklist Items
Create a Common Application and choose Macalester for your college list. Macalester does not have an application fee.
If you wish to be considered for financial aid, you must indicate your interest when you apply via the Common Application. Financial Aid
ACT or SAT (optional)
Beginning with the Fall 2021 admission cycle, Macalester will not require applicants to submit ACT or SAT results when applying for admission. Please see details on our Testing Policy page.
Proof of English Proficiency (Required of all applicants)
Macalester’s classes are instructed in English and only students who have a strong command of English language (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) will be offered admission.
Applicants whose first language is English and/or who attend secondary schools where the primary language of instruction is English
Applicants may request that the TOEFL requirement be waived by completing the ENGLISH PROFICIENCY Testing Waiver Request Form in their Applicant Portal.
If English is not the first language or the primary language of instruction
Applicants are required to submit one of the following exams in order to demonstrate proficiency in English. Self-reported test scores for IELTS and TOEFL will be accepted in the selection process. Admitted students who decide to attend Macalester will be required to submit official score reports.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Macalester’s code for the TOEFL is 6390.
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
COVID-19 Response: Macalester will accept the IELTS Indicator scores from students without access to an IELTS testing site. Likewise, the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition will be accepted for the 2020-2021 application cycle. The Duolingo English Test is a cost effective option for students who do not have access to IELTS or TOEFL.
For students in China: “TOEFL ITP (Level 1) Plus for China” will be accepted until TOEFL iBT resumes testing in China. Students choosing to use the TOEFL ITP Plus for China are required to include the unscored Vericant speaking interview.
Certification of Finances
We require the Certification of Finances form Finances (COF) and a bank statement from all international applicants, even if they are not applying for financial aid. A completed Certification of Finances form and bank statement can be uploaded to the applicant portal. International Forms
Optional Arts Portfolio
If you have made a substantial commitment to the arts in the areas of fine arts, music, theater or dance, you are welcome to submit samples in your applicant portal.
Checklist Items to Be Completed in the Common Application
Your counselor and teachers will be prompted to complete their portion of the following forms online via the Common Application process.
Early Decision Agreement
If you are applying Early Decision, the Early Decision Agreement certifies that Macalester is your first-choice college and agreement that, if admitted, you will enroll at Macalester and withdraw all other college applications. More about Early Decision
High School through Junior Year Transcript
Request that your secondary school(s) send Macalester official transcript(s) of all classes and grades beginning with 9th grade.
Request that your school counselor complete the School Report and Counselor Recommendation.
Two Academic Teacher Recommendations
Invite two teachers of core academic subjects (English, social studies, foreign language, mathematics, or science) to submit recommendations.
Mid-Year Report and First-Term Senior Year Grades
- Early Decision applicants must request that a school official (counselor or registrar) send us their first-term senior grades (e.g., first quarter or first trimester). When the marking period ends, students must ask school officials to also complete the Mid-Year Report and send us an updated transcript as soon as it becomes available.
- Regular Decision applicants must request that a school official (counselor or registrar) complete the Mid-Year Report and send us an updated transcript if senior year first-term grades are not on the initial transcript.