Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu

Transfer FAQs

  • I’ve taken some college courses. Should I apply as a Transfer student?

    Only a student who has been enrolled at another college or university as full-time, degree-seeking students may apply as a Transfer student. A student taking college courses while still in high school must apply as a first-year student.

  • How do I go about applying?

    You must apply for admission by using the Common Application.

  • How much is the application fee?

    Beginning with the fall 2021 admission cycle, there is no application fee.

  • What is the timeline for applying and when can I expect a decision?

    All application materials should be received on or before April 15. Decisions will be mailed no later than May 15.

  • What if I have difficulty obtaining both required Academic Evaluations?

    If you have been out of college for more than one year and have difficulty obtaining an academic recommendation or if you have been in college for less than a year and would like permission to request a recommendation from one of your high school instructors, contact Anne Walsh, Director of Admissions, to explain your situation and discuss options.

  • How many credits can I transfer to Macalester? How can I find out if my credits will transfer?

    You may transfer up to sixty-four credit hours to Macalester. In order to receive a Macalester degree you must complete two full years of coursework (sixty-four credit hours) at Macalester. To have your credits evaluated for transfer, email a transcript with a request for an evaluation to or mail an official transcript to – Registrar’s Office, 1600 Grand Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105.

  • Do you require standardized test scores as part of the application?

    All applicants must submit test scores from either the SAT or ACT in order to complete their application. Self-reported test scores will be accepted in the admissions process. Admitted students who decide to enroll will be required to submit official score reports. Macalester’s testing codes are 2122 (ACT) and 6390 (SAT). Testing Policy

  • Is there housing for Transfer students? Are Transfer students required to stay in on-campus housing?

    Macalester does not require Transfer students to stay on campus. However, if a Transfer student is interested in on-campus housing it may be available. If you are interested in on-campus housing you can let us know when you make your enrollment deposit. At that time we should be able to give you a sense of whether we will have space.

  • Do you have financial aid for Transfer students?

    Macalester is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need for every admitted student.

    All Transfer applicants for admission are considered for merit-based scholarships. No additional scholarship application is required. Students selected for merit-based scholarships are notified by the Admissions Office, shortly after admission notices are sent. Merit Scholarship

    If you wish to be considered for financial aid, you must indicate your interest when you apply via the Common Application. All Transfer application materials for both admissions and financial aid are due by April 15. Financial Aid.

  • How do I apply to take a class (or classes) as a non-degree-seeking student?

    If you want to take classes at Macalester without enrolling as a full-time student you should contact the Registrar’s Office at or 651-696-6200.

  • What if I have other questions about applying to Macalester?

    Once you have submitted your application you will receive a user name and password that will allow you to check the status of your application online.

All other questions may be directed to:

Transfer Application Contact

Anne Walsh, Director of Admissions
FAX: 651-696-6724