The Assessment Office at Macalester collaborates with committees, departments, and programs to provide useful feedback for improving the effectiveness of a Macalester education.
Our work is guided by:
- A “teaching and learning” stance, emphasizing the role assessment can play in program and course design, and in using information to confirm or improve practices;
- An emphasis on the role of assessment in building an equitable and inclusive campus environment;
- An unwavering commitment to ethical practices in research and use of data;
- Expertise in qualitative, quantitative, and mixed research methods, from thoughtful and flexible design through insights to inform practices;
- Facilitating connections between the college’s mission, student learning outcomes, curricular and co-curricular learning experiences, and assessment;
- Engaging assessment as a focus of faculty and staff development to help individuals, departments, and programs increase the effectiveness of their own approaches to assessment and evaluation.
Please use the menu on the left for further information about key areas of assessment at Macalester. The Associate Director of Assessment and the Vice Provost serve as the resources for assessment at Macalester. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance. Contact us!
Macalester creates opportunities for student learning through its commitment to a liberal arts education and an emphasis on learning that addresses students’ intellectual, personal, and social development. Macalester prepares students for productive engagement with an increasingly connected and diverse global society where cross-cultural expertise is more crucial than ever before.