General Education assessment ensures that students are meeting the learning goals for each of our general education areas: Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Quantitative Thinking and Writing.
In 2005, Macalester’s faculty approved new general education requirements. The General Education Requirements Committee (GERC) is charged with approving courses and assessing the college’s effectiveness in helping students master the learning goals for each of our General Education requirements.
2020-2021 GERC members:
- Scott Legge, GERC Chair; Associate Professor and Chair, Anthropology
- Brigetta Abel, Director of Writing, Serie Center for Scholarship and Teaching; Associate Professor (NTT), German and Russian Studies
- Nancy Bostrom, Associate Director of Assessment
- Susana Blanco-Iglesias, Senior Lecturer, Spanish & Portuguese
- Julia Chadaga, Associate Professor, German and Russian Studies; Chair, Russian Studies
- Dave Ehren, Director of MAX Center
- Susan Fox, Professor and Chair of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science (EPAG Representative)
- Mary Montgomery, Associate Professor, Biology
- Dianna Shandy, Professor of Anthropology; Interim and Acting Associate Dean of the Faculty; Special Assistant to the Provost for Strategic Academic Operations
- Timothy Traffie, Registrar