General Education assessment ensures that students are meeting the learning goals for each of our general education areas: Internationalism, Multiculturalism, Quantitative Thinking and Writing.
In 2005, Macalester’s faculty approved new general education requirements. The General Education Requirements Committee (GERC) is charged with approving courses and assessing the college’s effectiveness in helping students master the learning goals for each of our General Education requirements.
2019-2020 GERC members:
- Scott Legge, GERC Chair, Associate Professor and Chair of Anthropology
- Brigetta Abel, Director of Writing and Assistant Professor, German and Russian Studies
- Nancy Bostrom, Associate Director of Assessment
- Julia Chadaga, Associate Professor of German and Russian Studies
- Dave Ehren, Director of MAX Center
- Arjun Guneratne, Professor of Anthropology
- Gary Krueger, Cargill Professor of Economics
- Kelly MacGregor, Professor of Geology
- Paul Overvoorde, Vice Provost and Associate Dean of the Faculty
- Timothy Traffie, Registrar