Macalester’s Career Exploration offers programs, services and appointments in our office in Kagin Commons, in the Olin-Rice Hub, and across campus. Our advisors provide tailored career exploration and preparation for students of all majors – and for those exploring them all. Specialized divisional advisors can assist students in fine arts and humanities, natural sciences and mathematics, or social sciences. Meet our advisors and staff.
During the 2018-19 school year:
- 99 percent of students said they were satisfied with their career counseling appointments
- 83 percent of students activated accounts on Handshake, our comprehensive career services platform.
- We posted 14,275 internships and jobs on the Handshake database.
- We hosted 100 organizations on campus.
- Our counselors held 1,900+ appointments.
We can meet you wherever you are on your career path.
- Just beginning or unsure? Design a plan! Our counselors will help you learn about the variety of futures possible for you using career assessments, your interests, values and major.
- Need to transition your high school resume to something more? Wondering what to write in a cover letter? We’ll help you create the materials you need when you need them.
- Want to learn more about a specific field or organization? We can connect you to Macalester alumni who are ready to answer your questions.
- Ready to search for an internship or a full-time job? Our online career services platform, Handshake, has opportunities waiting for you. Meet employers on campus when they attend our fall or spring on-campus job fairs or when they hold interviews here.
- Don’t know what you don’t know? Learn from us when we are in your classroom, and attend one of our many events or workshops during the year.
- Nervous about it all? We’ll work with you to ease your nerves.
Make an appointment or visit our drop-in hours Monday through Thursday 2 pm-4 pm during the school year.
Our Signature Programs
The MacExplore program targets sophomores and leverages our urban location for student’s career exploration. Multiple times throughout the year, we take small groups of students to local organizations to explore career pathways, meet alumni, and practice career skills.
The MacExplore program is made possible by a generous grant from the Trillium Family Foundation.
Each year, we select students to explore a career field in another city. In each immersive three-day experience, our staff and faculty lead students on site visits, connect them to alumni, and give them opportunities to hone their career search skills.
Participants are selected through a rigorous application process.
Previous trips have included
- Creative Careers in Media and Communications: New York
- Careers in Social Science Research: Washington, D.C.
- Careers in Technology (Data Analysis, Software, UX, Design): San Francisco
These trips are made possible through collaboration between Macalester Career Exploration, Alumni Relations, and Advancement Offices.
For students interested in industries with exceptionally early hiring deadlines, we offer MacLaunch. Held in the early fall and early spring each year, MacLaunch is one-to-two weeks of workshops and programs to make sure students are well prepared for these deadlines.
Our career counselors work closely with faculty, students, and departments to develop specialized career programming for each academic division: fine arts and humanities, natural sciences and mathematics, and social sciences.