Use the GoinGlobal H1B Plus Database to find U.S. employers who have historically hired international students and professionals. Access GoinGlobal via Handshake.

As an international students at Macalester, you’ll have special concerns about career options and working in the U.S. or back home. Here are some tips:

  1. Gain experiential learning through working, volunteering, internships and student involvement. 
  2. When looking for potential employment, remember that you have unique assets in addition to your academic training. Promote skills including your multilingual abilities, adaptability, problem solving, unique background, and professional experience. 
  3. Familiarize yourself with immigration processes related to your student visa. Practice and develop skills in describing pertinent visa aspects with employers. 
  4. Ask for advice and help. Fellow international students who have gained some experience with the U.S. job market may be able to help you in your search. 
  5. While a degree-seeking student, you may be eligible for internships, research positions, or other employment opportunities under certain conditions related to your studies. In most cases, after graduation, you may be eligible for 12 months of practical training (and an additional 24 months for those in certain STEM majors).