Important Updates

  • Due to precautions related to COVID-19, Macalester College strongly recommends your internship be set up to be conducted remotely. This is the safest, least disruptive way to engage with a community organization.
  • Students will be allowed to do on-site, in-person internships if arrangements are made in advance with Career Exploration (this involves a waiver process). However, these positions must be able to quickly transition to remote work if health and safety conditions change.
  • All interns are required to develop a plan with their employer for how work will be/could be managed virtually (i.e. orientation/training/supervision/communication/access to resources/access to work community.)

Please review the following guides for more information on how to register your internship for credit:

International Students:

International students here on student visas must register their internships for credit, whether it is paid or not.

In order to qualify for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) employment, your internship position has to relate to your declared or intended major, not minor or concentration. Also, you can not start any work until CPT is approved by International Student Programs (ISP). Be sure the start date on your learning contract allows time for approval in Handshake and time for ISP to process your CPT.

Once your internship paperwork has been approved, you will receive a copy of your learning contract through email. ISP will process your CPT and will send an electronic I-20 to you with the CPT work authorization after the learning contract is approved.