Inquiries about French and Francophone Studies Drop-in Sessions

For inquiries about our French and Francophone Studies program, please feel free to email Prof. Joëlle Vitiello at or the first year contact during August, Prof. Juliette Rogers at Alternatively, you can stop by on the date below for a drop-in Zoom hour with faculty:

Wednesday August 26, 2:00-3:00 PM

Join Zoom Meeting

Prof. Andrew Billing
Prof. Moustapha El-Hadji Diop

Frequently Asked Questions

Which French Class should I enroll in?
If you have never taken a French class, you should enroll in French 101.  If you have taken French classes in High School or elsewhere you need to take the online placement (WebCape) exam.

How do I take the online (WebCape) placement exam?
Call Brenda Piatz in Academic Programs at 651-696-6036, or .  She can get you set up to take the exam.

What do I do with the online (WebCape) score?
See table below for course placement.

Can I use the SAT II with Listening Score for placement in a French course?
Yes, see table below.

Placement test scores are as follows:

SAT II Score (with Listening) WebCape Score Course #
620+ Over 550 305, 306, 394
590-610 460-550 204
480-580 370-459 203
410-470 301-369 102
200-400 0-300 101 or 111

Can my previous course work fulfill the language requirement?

Yes, if you completed the AP exam in French with a score of 4 or 5 or you completed the SAT II with Listening with a score of 620 or higher.  Students with IB credit or diploma from a lycée français should contact the department chair.

I am interested in taking the French Proficiency Exam to test out of the language requirement.  What should I do?
In order to test out of Macalester’s foreign language requirement, you must take the SAT II with Listening and score a 620 or better or you must take the AP French exam and score a 4 or 5.  You cannot “test out” of the school’s language requirement with the online (WebCape) placement exam.  The online (WebCape) exam is only to help you figure out which class would best suit your ability.

I took the SAT II and scored 620 or higher.  Who at Macalester needs to know so I don’t have to take a language class?
If you are an incoming First Year, you should request that SAT send the results to Macalester.  If you are taking the test after arriving at Macalester, you can also request that SAT send the results to Macalester, or you can provide a copy to the Registrar’s office and a copy to Academic Programs.

I am interested in study abroad programs to immerse myself in the culture(s) of the French and Francophone speaking world.  What programs does Macalester offer?  Which ones does the Department of French and Francophone Studies recommend?
Please see our study abroad programs.