Note: If you are a Macalester employee interested in living near campus, please call our office about available housing.
Property listings on this page are limited to a one-mile radius around the college campus. Exceptions will be made for current Macalester faculty and staff.
How to Request a Listing
Please contact us when your property has rented or sold. Listings older than 90 days will be cleared.
Other resources for finding a home in the Macalester-Groveland neighborhood:
- Villager: every two weeks free community print newspaper lists housing for sale or rent; available at Dunn Bros. and the Campus Center.
- Padmapper: a website that helps you locate rental housing by zip code (55105), rent amount, & size.
- CURRENT LISTINGS:
1BR Apartment for Rent: 1798 Ashland
Price: $875 per month
Charming 1BR apartment in a quiet building. Hardwood floors, small eating area in the kitchen, large closets and pantry. Monthly rent includes heat, water, trash, recycling and large storage unit. Tenant pays electric and cooking gas. Coin-operated laundry in basement. Photos are of a typical unit. Call to tour.
Contact: Susan Lichliter 651-696-6552 or firstname.lastname@example.org
3BR Duplex for Rent: 1945 Lincoln Avenue
Price: $1950 per month
Beautifully Maintained, 3BR upper duplex on a sunny, corner lot. Sunroom, LR, DR, French Windows, Ceiling Fans and Wood Floors throughout. Dishwasher and gas stove in updated kitchen. Free laundry in basement. Basic cable and wireless internet included. Tenant pays heat and electric. 1 year lease. Available January 1, 2020.
Contact: Cynthia Levine email@example.com
2BR Home for Sale: 1481 St. Clair Ave.
Gorgeous Dutch Colonial in sought-after Randolph Heights school district! The updated eat-in kitchen w/ SS appliances highlights the main floor & flows great to the spacious living & dining spaces. A heated 4-season porch-which can be used as an office, mudroom, or guest room-welcomes you into the home. Second level has a huge master BR w/ large closet. Upper-level full BA has a large Japanese-style soaking tub. Meticulous woodwork & hardwood floors throughout. Basement has another BA & great space for kids play area or family movie night. You’ll have peace of mind knowing sewer & water lines were replaced in 2017 (many in St. Paul are over 100 years old!). Get away in the huge backyard, while front yard features low-maintenance, pollinator-friendly perennial gardens-beautiful & great for the environment! Walkability is a 10, with Grand & Snelling avenue shops, coffee shops, Mattocks park, Macalester (great spaces for kids & dogs to play), Whole Foods, & Summit Avenue all nearby. See more about the listing and contact information here.
Furnished Apartment For Rent: 1479 Fairmount Avenue
Garden-level one-bedroom, furnished unit in beautiful Mac-Groveland home! Separate entrance. Just two blocks from Mac. Garage space, laundry, utilities, Internet all included. No-smoking/pets.
Contact Name: Tara Fortune 651-269-3851
3BR Home for Sale: 1833 Fairmount Ave.
Beautiful four bedroom, 3 bath home with office, fireplace and large deck, located close to Macalester College. More photos may be found here.
Mary McFarland Brooks, 651-252-9125
2BR Apartment for Rent: 1860 St. Clair Avenue
Price: $1200 per month
This renovated 2 BR apartment is the lower unit in a turn-of-the-century duplex.
It features large living room and dining rooms that are great for entertaining. Adjacent is a full kitchen. The two bedrooms are equal in size and have built-in closets. The bathroom has lots of natural daylight. There is also a 3-season front porch. The entire unit was renovated recently. The duplex also has new windows, heating system and boilers. You will love your utility bill! The location is in walking distance to the three colleges in the area as well as many restaurants and grocery stores.
Contact: Steve at 651-900-0009.
The Grove: New Rental Apartment Building open near campus
Located in the charming and energetic Macalester-Groveland neighborhood, they have created 118 well-thought-out residences full of modern luxuries and conveniences. All nestled right in the middle of a place proud of its history and excited about its future is a new apartment building on the corner of St. Clair and Snelling. Click here to link to their website.
Did not find what you are looking for? Here are more resources:
- Our office has first hand recommendations for Realtor Steve Townley who lives a block from Macalester and has decades of experience finding housing for people in this neighborhood.
- Satisfied customers highly recommended Realtor Natasha Cejudo, a Mac alum that lives near Macalester with area expertise and a long list of Mac Alum clients.
- Many of our faculty have recently used Realtor Brian Wagner. Brian lives in the Macalester neighborhood, is very involved in the community and has a strong focus on customer service.
- Padmapper, Zumper, Zillow, and Apartment List offer easy ways to search for housing in the neighborhood that has been advertised online.
- Many landlords post signs on properties for rent, so driving the neighborhood where you would like to live is a very good idea.
- Finally, the neighborhood’s free bi-weekly neighborhood newspaper, The Villager, has a few listings. However, it is only available in print.