DML Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Multicultural Life (DML) is to provide transformative leadership in creating a culture of diversity and justice that enables all Macalester students to respond to the complexities of the national and larger international community. With other College faculty and staff, the DML staff shares responsibility to maintain a living/learning environment for students that respects multiple perspectives and works towards equity and social justice for everyone.
- Foster and promote a welcoming and pluralistic environment that is inclusive of the entire student community.
- Identify, assess, and promote social justice for the campus community.
- Integrate and affirm the peoples, discourses, thoughts, and experiences of marginalized people into the fabric of the Macalester community.
- Create partnerships with academic and administrative departments to infuse anti-oppression education throughout all aspects of campus life.
Interested in Getting Weekly DML Announcements?
Join our list-serv!
Our annual end of the year event celebrates and recognizes students, staff, and faculty for their contributions to multicultural education on campus throughout the year.
This annual celebration is a recognition and celebration of Macalester's LGBTQ graduating seniors. Sponsored by the DML, Campus Programs, Alumni Relations, and the Office of Student Affairs/Fund for Lavender Life.
Rites of Passage
This annual graduation ceremony recognizes and honors the contributions of Macalester's graduating students of color. Sponsored by the DML and the Alumni Office.
- Oct 20 Disability, Chronic Pain, and Chronic Illness Identity Collective Meeting!
- Oct 24 AnOther Story Circle: People of Color (POC) and Disability
- Nov 2 Speak! Series featuring Dr. Fausto Sterling
- Nov 14 SPEAK! Series featuring Dr. Leigh Patel! Distinct yet connected: Identity and Collective in a Settler Society