- Closing (May)
- Study Abroad Storage Information
- Summer Housing
- Fall Housing for new Students
- January Housing
January Break 2018:
The residence halls will open for on-campus students involved in college approved January break activities on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 and continue to Tuesday, January 16, 2018 when the halls open for spring semester. Only students who complete the January Break Housing Request form may be approved to return during the break. There is no additional charge for housing and dining to students approved to be on campus.
The January break dining plan opens with breakfast on Tuesday, January 2. Café Mac will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner January 2 – 16 to students approved for January Break Housing and who are on dining Plan A, B, or C for fall and spring semesters. Atrium Market, Nessie’s and Scotties are closed.
In order to plan for hall staffing and food preparation all students requesting to return for January break activities must complete the January Break Housing Request form
All students must also check-in upon arrival to activate their break meal plan. Check-in details will be sent near the end of fall semester to students who complete the form and are approved for break housing.
Residence Halls close for all students on Tuesday, May 9 before noon. Students check out 24 hours after their last final. Those with a final on Monday May 9th must check out before noon on Tuesday, May 9.
Graduates and students asked to stay for performances at graduation may stay until Sunday, May 14 and must depart before Noon. We also permit students enrolled in a class at an ACTC institution with a later finals schedule and students transitioning to on-campus summer housing to stay on campus. Students with ACTC finals may stay through the day of the final. Students staying for summer housing will receive instructions for moving to summer housing and should plan to move on Tuesday, May 16.
Leaving your Room in good condition
- Remove all your belongings–double-check closets & drawers!
- Remove everything from the walls including posters, pictures, tape, poster putty, etc.
- Take out trash/recycle/donate as outlined below.
- Clean your room (vacuum, dust and wipe down all surfaces).
- Return your room to way it was set up when you moved in.
- Leave your heat on the setting it is now.
- Close exterior storm windows and interior windows and lock; close curtains/blinds
- Turn off the lights and close and lock the door.
- Proceed to your check-out as directed by the residence hall staff in your building
24-Hour Quiet Hours
24-Hour Quiet Hours start the night before Study Day on Monday, May 1 at 10:00 p.m. 24-Hour Quiet Hours end after the last final on Monday, May 8. Please be extra considerate of your residence hall community by keeping the noise you make to a minimum during the final exam period.
Trash and Recycling rooms will be locked and bins removed on Monday, May 1. Trash bags and cleaning supplies will arrive to designated areas on the floors and the hall offices. Students will be responsible for taking out their own trash and recycling on May 1st through closing. THINK GREEN! Sort your trash, recycling, and items you can donate!
The main trash/recycling/donation sites will be on Macalester Street by Wallace Hall; underneath the Dupre Hall overhang, and the south side of Kirk (by the Leonard Center). Those living in Veggie Co-op, & Houses will have smaller trash and recycling spots locally (use the three locations listed for donations). Trash/Recycling/Donation Areas include:
• “Trash/Garbage” – anything you can’t recycle or donate!
• “Paper & Cardboard” – pretty self-explanatory
• “Recyclable Glass/Metal/Plastics” – Recyclable glass, tin or aluminum cans, #1 and #2 Plastics
• “Electronic Waste – E-Waste” – Electronics that are broken or obsolete
• “Usable Donations to the Fall Habitat for Humanity/Bonner Scholars Garage Sale” – items you would give a friend
2017 END OF YEAR CLOSING- SUMMER STORAGE INFORMATION:
- Anyone living on campus for the upcoming academic school year whose home address is 400 miles or MORE away from campus (Google Maps will be used to calculate the distance)
What can be stored?
- You can store up to 4 items . These items can include boxes, plastic tubs/containers, microfridges, trunks, suitcases. (if you have a question about your item ask your RHD as soon as possible)
- Boxes should be 20 X 20 X 20 or smaller anything larger cannot be stored.
- All items must be completely secured/ shut tightly/ tapped closed
- You must be able to lift your items on your own to get them in and out of storage.
- You CANNOT store pets, food, plants, bicycles
Where can you Store?
|Students Living Next Year in:||
|Wallace Hall 4th floor
(Hall Office located in Bigelow)
30 Mac & Bigelow Hall
GDD, GCA, Houses, Summit
Kirk and Veggie Co-op
(Hall Office located in Section 1)
(Hall Office located in Doty)
Summer Housing (Kirk Hall)
Kirk (2 boxes only for summer)
Arriving early for Fall Pre-Season 2017
Storage-In will be Wednesday May 3 through Friday, May 5 from 8pm -10pm AND Saturday May 6 through Monday, May 8 from 2-4pm and 8-10pm
- Stop by the respective Hall Offices for instructions
- Storage will NOT be available outside of those hours. Students involved in Senior week must store in advance.
Tips for On Campus Storage!
- Have all of your items ready to store at the same time.
- Storage space is limited and is on a first come first serve basis. STORE EARLY
- Label your boxes clearly and note where in the room you stored your items on your storage sheet.
- Do not store any valuables that can be easily be damaged or important documents such as passports or IDs.
- Access to storage is not available until September 3, 2017 (unless you have been approved for preseason storage)
- Follow the instructions of the hall staff
If on campus storage isn’t fitting your needs below are some off campus options. These options are available to you at your own cost and up to you to secure.
Link to find storage units in the Twin Cities– You are able to search by zip code to find storage units near you.
- Preseason storage is open only to students with home addresses at least 400 from St. Paul, MN.
- Storage policies and hours are the same as general storage.
- Students will have access only to preseason storage, during the preseason period.
- General storage is not open during preseason.
Other: If you have other questions, please contact your RA, your RHD, or the Residential Life Office. Best wishes on a great rest of the semester!
Written materials outlining check-out procedures will be available to students via this web site.
- Students should note the closing procedures for their rooms noted above. Students who do not follow the check-out procedures may be held financially accountable through fees and fines.
- All college owned furniture must be returned to the student’s room and reset to its original design (either lofted or delofted, beds on the middle-settings, and bunked/debunked). Beds must also be reassembled correctly.
- Students are expected to check-out 24 hours after their last final exam. Residents who live internationally, have transportation problems, or have extenuating circumstances should talk to the Residential Life office to receive permission to stay in the halls past the official closing date. Students who check out of the halls late may incur substantial fees with the minimum fee for an improper check-out starting at $100. Please be aware of your responsibility to manage your time in order to avoid an improper check-out fee. Returning students who refuse to leave the halls at their designated time will risk having their housing contract rescinded for the coming year.
- Students who choose to become involved in conduct within the last few days of the semester may be asked to leave the halls immediately.
Summer Housing 2018
Tuesday, May 15, 2018 through Friday, August 3, 2018
Meal Plans: Lunch, Tuesday, May 29 through Dinner on Friday, August 3, 2018
Room $10 per day; $70 per week
Minimum summer stay is three weeks
Dining(required): Summer Meal Block Options:
- Block A – 50 Meals: $491
- Block B – 100 Meals: $982
- Block C – 150 Meals: $1473
Summer Housing room and board charges will be added to students’ billing accounts by May 15th. Payment is due by June 15, 2018. If you have questions regarding payment of these charges, please contact the Student Accounts Office.
Applications are due by April 27, 2018. If your application is not accepted you will be contacted. Room assignments announced by Friday, May 4, 2018.
Eligibility Requirements for Summer Housing:
Students with outstanding spring semester charges will not be approved for summer housing until the outstanding balance is paid. Contact the Student Accounts Office if you have questions about your student billing account.
Current Macalester College students are eligible to live on-campus for the following reasons:
- Working on campus for Macalester College
- Registered for an internship or independent study
- Registered for the Physics Institute
- Awarded Summer Research Housing
Students planning to live on campus for research programs must check in by May 30th, in order to have time to fulfill the 10-week housing option. No check-ins permitted after July 16, 2017. Summer Housing ends on August 4, 2017. Minimum summer housing is three weeks.
Students requesting accommodations for religious observances while in summer housing should contact the summer hall director.
The Summer Meal Plan
Monday through Friday:
Breakfast – 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Dinner – 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Summer Transition Storage:
Some storage will be available for students that will not move directly into summer housing at the end of the spring semester. Students who will live on-campus in the Fall may use temporary summer storage for one (1) reasonably sized box for the time between their spring departure and return to summer housing and the time between their summer departure and return for fall housing. Storage space is not guaranteed due to limited space.
If you have any questions regarding summer housing, please contact the Residential Life Office at x6215. We look forward to assisting you and your students in your summer projects.
August 17 through August 29 , 2018
Athletes, Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, special program participants, and others may be asked to return to campus before Residence Halls open for fall semester. Sponsoring departments will submit preseason housing requests and rosters to Residential Life in March and April.
Students: The person in charge of your program will inform you of the date when you should arrive on campus. Plan to arrive on your scheduled arrival date; we do not have staff available to check you in earlier.
The Check-In table is located upstairs in the Campus Center atrium.
Scheduled arrivals August 17 – 29:
Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM and 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Scheduled arrivals Sunday, August 26: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
If you will arrive after 7:30 PM on a weekday or after 4:00 PM on Sunday, Aug 26 please contact Residential Life so we can arrange to check you in when you arrive on campus. If you are delayed during your travel you may contact us after hours by calling 651-734-3998.
Preseason Storage – If you wish to retrieve items in preseason storage let the preseason staff know when you check in. They will schedule a preseason storage pick up time for you. If your items are stored in hall summer storage, we cannot open those storage spaces during Preseason. Regular storage out hours begin on September 2.