- Tuition and Fees
- Additional Tuition and Fees Information
- Additional Room and Board Information
- Insurance (Health)
- Charges From Other Offices
- Finance Charges
- Returned Check/Payment Charges
- Credit Balance Refunds
Tuition and Fees for 2023 – 2024 Academic Year
|Category||Fall 2023||Spring 2024||Total|
Note: Health insurance will be updated as soon as it is available.
Additional Tuition and Fees Information for 2023-2024
$2,021 Part-Time, less than 12 hours per semester (per semester hour)
$4,042 Hours in excess of 18 (per semester hour to a maximum of 20)
Note: Charges for hours in excess of 18 per semester are waived if students enroll for 12-14 hours in the other semester of the same academic year. They are not waived if students enroll in fewer than 12 hours or withdraw from a fourth course.
$2,021 Macalester Graduate, maximum of 5 hours per semester
Note: Graduates taking more than the stated credit limit are billed the regular part-time or full-time tuition rate for all credits.
$505 Audit only, non-Macalester graduate (per credit)
$1,939 Summer Independent Study (Summer 2023, per semester hour)
No Charge January Break Independent Study (January 2024, 2 semester hours max)
$525 Private Music Lessons, non-major student
Additional Room and Board Information
$7,088 Board Charge ($3,241) per semester)
$ 930 Commuter Meal Plan (per semester)
$7,894 Dormitory Room Charge ($3,947) per semester)
$8,136 Language Houses (room only)
$8,982 Apartment (room only)
Charges From Other Offices
Many Macalester departments and offices, such as the Library, Registrar’s Office, Music Department, Residential Life and Health Services put charges and credits on students’ accounts. The Student Accounts Office acts as a clearinghouse for these transactions.
If an item on your account needs clarification or adjustment, you should first contact the originating department to discuss it.
|Financial Aid||Financial Aid Office||651-696-6214|
|Health Service Charge||Health and Wellness Center||651-696-6275|
|Music Lesson Fee||Music Department||651-696-6808|
|Late Registration Fee||Registrar||651-696-6200|
|Dorm Damage Charge||Residential Life||651-696-6215|
|Lost Keys||Facilities Services||651-696-6797|
If your account is not paid by the dates indicated, a finance charge of .67% per month (8% per annum) will be assessed on the unpaid balance.
All returned payments are charged back to the student billing account. All returned payments are assessed a $20 fee. After three returned payments, the student/authorized user will be required to make further payments with cash or cashier’s check. A hold will be placed on the student’s account and on the cashing of personal checks at the Student Accounts Office.
Requesting refunds for credit balances on student billing accounts will be processed as follows:
- Credit balance refund requests must be received in the Student Accounts Office on or before Monday at 4pm to be disbursed on the Friday of that week. Holiday schedules may apply and change availability of disbursements.
- Credit balance refund requests may be emailed to the Student Accounts Office or the student may stop by the Student Accounts Office to have the form filled out. Email: [email protected]
- Credit balance refunds due to financial aid/payments/credits will not be processed before the first day of class of the semester for which they are intended.
- Credit balance refunds will not be disbursed until the credit balance is on the student billing account and will not be processed for more than the amount of the credit balance.
- Credit balance refunds will be disbursed to the student. The only exception is when a credit balance is due to a Federal Plus Loan- in this case only, the credit balance refund may go to the parent.
- Credit balance refunds (direct deposit or check) may be requested up to three times (maximum) per semester.
- Cash disbursements of $50 or less due to credit balances will only be granted once per month.
- Newly disbursed financial aid or credit balance due to other account changes may be refunded upon request and will follow the normal refund process and policies.
- Credit balances due to over payments or payments made when a balance was not owing will remain on the student billing account for future charges. Macalester College will not act as an intermediary for transference of funds through the credit balance refund process.
- Credit balances due to over payments or payments made by wire transfer will remain on the student billing account for future charges or returned to the sending institution. Macalester College will not act as an intermediary for transference of funds through the credit balance refund process.
- If a student reduces their credit load and the change in enrollment status creates a credit balance, the credit balance will remain on the student billing account for future charges. Macalester College will not act as an intermediary for transference of funds through the credit balance refund process.
- If a student or other person on behalf of the student is enrolled in the Nelnet Campus Commerce (Nelnet) payment plan, no refund will be issued until the plan has been paid in full.
- If a student reduces their credit load and the change in enrollment status creates a credit balance, the student may be required to apply the credit balance to their institutional loan disbursements.
- If a student withdraws from the College, makes changes to their registration and/or room and board, or incurs tax assessments after receiving a refund, the student may be required to repay all or a portion of the refund amount back to the College.
- If a student withdraws from the College and a credit balance results because of the change, the College will post the available credit balance as repayment of institutional loans taken during that semester prior to issuing any refund.
- Credit balance refunds are processed 3-4 weeks following a status change due to non-registration. This would include graduation, withdrawal, leave of absence, etc.