A variety of sources exist to support paid learning experiences for Macalester students. In addition to gaining a deep understanding of subject matter, and acquiring skills essential to graduate school and post-graduation employment, the experience itself is often exhilarating. Many projects result in the opportunity to present findings at regional or national conferences; some students also the get the opportunity to publish their results. Talking to your advisor and your professors about research opportunities is a good first step.
Programs that require student initiated applications for the summer of 2017 include:
- Programs supported by a Science Education Award from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) to Macalester College
- Projects with Macalester faculty listed on the Electronic Summer Research Application (ESRA) site
- Also visit the The Olin-Rice Hub site for listings of additional on-campus and off-campus opportunities. Be sure to check out Special for Mac Opportunities and Experiential Learning and Collaborative Programs.
- In addition, Macalester faculty also have the opportunity to apply for Collaborative Summer Research (CSR) funds that supports student-faculty collaborative research during the summer. Faculty can contact Paul Overvoorde (email@example.com), Associate Dean of the Faculty for more information.
- Examples of Past Projects