Asian Studies Major
Asian Studies Major Requirements
A major in Asian Studies consists of 10 to 14 courses, distributed as follows:
- ASIA 111 - Introduction to Asian Studies
- 8 courses on Asia, with the following constraints:
a. A maximum of 4 courses in Asian language study,
b. A maximum of 6 courses that deal with a single Asian country,
c. Courses that deal with the Asian diaspora may be counted at the discretion of the Director of Asian Studies.
d. Courses from study away programs in Asia or other approved alternatives may count with approval of the Director of Asian Studies.
- 4 courses in a single discipline relevant to Asian Studies, with the following constraints:
a. One must be a methods course.
b. Courses in interdisciplinary departments (such as Environmental Studies or International Studies) may not count.
c. Courses need not have an Asian focus, but if they do they may count toward 8 courses on Asia.
d. Courses that count toward the 8 courses on Asia may also count toward this requirement.
e. Courses from study away programs in Asia or other approved alternatives may count with the approval of the chair of the particular disciplinary department.
- The capstone requirement for the Asian Studies major may be fulfilled by a four-credit course or independent study project approved by the Director of Asian Studies. Options may include a capstone course or a project in another disciplinary major (if focused on Asia), an independent project with a suitable member of the Asian Studies steering committee, or a senior seminar course in the Asian Studies department, when offered.
- Students who are majoring in Chinese or Japanese may not count their senior seminar in those fields toward the capstone requirement, and not count more than four courses in that major toward the major in Asian Studies.
Study abroad in Asia or an approved alternative is required for all majors. Study of an Asian language is strongly encouraged.
Asian Studies Minor
Asian Studies Minor Requirements
A minor in Asian Studies consists of 5 courses, with the following constraints:
- ASIA 111 - Introduction to Asian Studies is required.
- At least two of the four remaining courses must be taken at Macalester.
- No more than three of the four courses can be about one country.