Leland and Kathleen Hansen Geography Research Endowed Fund
The Hansen Research Fund was established in 2013 and supports students involved in research projects in the field of urban geography, with preference given to current geography majors. Funding is awarded every other year.
Kathleen Lawler Hansen graduated from Macalester in 1963. Her father, Harold Lawler, attended Macalester in the 1930s (before graduating from the University of Minnesota Dental School in 1938), and Lee and Kathy’s daughter, Laura Hansen Smith, is a 1994 graduate and a tenured faculty member in the Macalester Geography Department. Kathy retired from the University of Minnesota Medical Center after a successful career in laboratory services. Lee, a University of Minnesota graduate, retired from the university’s pediatric research division. The Hansens became interested in urban geography through living in St. Paul for more than 40 years and through their daughter’s studies.
The next application deadline is during the first week of February in 2020 for funding in the summer of 2020. Applications for the Hansen Geography Fund should be submitted to the Geography Department Chair.
Womadix Foundation Research Fund
The Womadix Foundation Research Fund was established in 2015 and supports student collaborative research with Professor Moseley that is focused on the New Green Revolution for Africa, women and nutrition. While this broad research theme is fixed, there is some flexibility on the precise topic the student may chose related to this theme. Applicants considered must meet the following criteria:
- Fluency in French (required)
- Interest in agriculture and Africa (required)
- Flexible attitude, ability to work independently, and willingness to deal with some physical hardship (required)
- Junior who would use this research to prepare a senior honors thesis (preferred), but first years and sophomores will also be considered
- Geography major (preferred), but ES majors, African studies, Food, Agriculture & Society or International Development concentrators also considered
- Previous experience in Africa or other Global South setting (preferred)
- Previously taken GEOG 113, 232, 243 and/or 363 (preferred)
Students travel expenses and housing are covered, and they receive the standard Macalester summer research stipend of $450/wk for food and other living expenses. The time commitment is 6 weeks from approximately June 12-July 23 (noting that that exact dates are tentative and subject to change). You would live in the town of Bobo Dioulasso in southwestern Burkina Faso with daily travel to nearby sites. The evolving security situation in West Africa also requires that traveling individuals be cleared by the college’s international office before departure.
If you think you might be interested in this opportunity, please email Professor Bill Moseley at email@example.com with an articulation of your interests and relevant experience, as well as a copy of your CV.
For additional research funding opportunities, visit Academic Programs