Academic Internships must be approved by the Internship Program Director prior to being registered for credit.
Fall or Spring terms – The last day to register an internship for credit is the Add/Drop deadline for that semester. A one-week extension may be granted by the Internship Program for those students who need more time to finalize arrangements for an internship “in process”.
January/Interim term – The last day of the Spring term pre-registration period (usually in early December).
Summer term – The last day to register an internship is the Friday before Memorial Day.
1. Meet with your Faculty Sponsor
- Once you have confirmed your internship, ask a faculty to be your sponsor. Meet to develop learning objectives and goals.
- Discuss how many hours you will complete and how many credits.
- Create a communication plan to share your progress throughout the semester.
2. Complete your Learning Contract in Handshake to receive credit
- Review the Step-by-Step Guide for assistance.
- Log in to Handshake using your Macalester username and password.
- Click “Career Center” along the top, then “Experiences”, then “Request an Experience.” Complete the form with your internship details. Be sure to upload a Position Description.
- Once submitted, the learning contract will go through an approval process – our office, faculty sponsor, and site supervisor. You can check the status within Handshake. Once your internship is approved by all parties, you will receive an email to move to step 3.
3. Register your Internship for Credit
- Stop by the Internship Program for your add/drop slip and to sign our Student Agreement form.
- Last step: Bring your signed add/drop slip to the Registrar.
Please note: All students registering an internship for academic credit for the first time will be required to complete a brief (15 minute) online orientation. Once your forms have been submitted and approved you will receive an email with information on how to access the online orientation course.
Additional Documentation Required for January/Summer
- Summer 2018 Registration Form (signed by you, faculty sponsor, and Internship Program Director)
- If your internship is taking place outside of the Twin Cities your parents will need to complete the Parent Waiver form. Student Accounts will also have to sign off that your account is clear. (Summer only)
The minimum number of hours worked per week at the internship site in relation to registered credits is as follows:
Fall-Spring-Summer Internships (Internships must last a minimum of a ten-week period)
4 credits = A minimum of 140 hours per semester or 10-12 hours per week
3 credits = A minimum of 105 hours per semester or 8-9 hours per week
2 credits = A minimum of 75 hours per semester or 5-7 hours per week
1 credit = A minimum of 45 hours per semester or 3-4 hours per week (at least 60 hours in summer)
January Internships (Minimum of three weeks)
2 credits = 100 hours per semester or approx. 40 hours per week
1 credit = 50 hours per semester or approx. 20 hours per week
(from the 2016-2017 Macalester College Catalog):
- No more than twenty-four semester credits earned in independent study courses (tutorials, independent projects, internships, preceptorships, honors independents) may be applied toward the number of semester credits required for graduation.
- Students may not register in a single term for more than six semester hours of internship credit which take place outside of the Twin Cities area, or for more than four semester hours of credit for a single internship in the Twin Cities.
- The Learning Contract:
- Must be completed with supporting documentation for each separate internship experience
- It must be reviewed/signed by the faculty sponsor and Internship Program Director before it may be registered for credit.
- Students who may not register an internship for academic credit:
- first year students
- students on academic probation
- students with in-completes (unless they have the permission of the instructor who assigned the incomplete)
To drop or withdraw from an internship after the Add/Drop deadline has passed, students must obtain the faculty sponsor’s signature and the signature of the Internship Program Director. (Refer to the College Catalog section on Dropping and Withdrawing From Courses for more detailed information.)