Trans @ Mac
At Macalester College, we recognize the importance of creating policies and practices that support students who identify as transgender, nonbinary, genderqueer, and/or gender non-conforming to feel included and valued in our campus community. To this end, this webpage was created to provide an overview of the resources and processes we have in place to support students in exploring and affirming their gender identity.
Feel free to jump to any of the particular topics on this page:
- All Gender Restrooms
- Health Services
- Name Change
- Gender Marker Change for Alum
- Incident Reporting
- On Campus Resources
- Off Campus Resources
Trans Athletes: Varsity, Club & Intramural
Macalester College prohibits discrimination based on the basis of gender identity or expression and aims to provide equal opportunity for all students to participate in athletic activities. Read Macalester’s Official Transgender Inclusion Policies for Intercollegiate Athletics, Club Sports and Intramural Sports Activities on the Macalester Athletics website.
Macalester Athletics offers two all-gender lockers rooms. One space, which is located in the hallway behind Scotty’s, is a multi-person facility with three private shower stalls, including one with ADA accessibility, and 13 day-use lockers. Like all Leonard Center locker rooms, it is open to students, faculty, staff, and Leonard Center visitors. However, due to limited space, there will be ten dates in which the all-gender locker room will be used for visiting teams. The other space near the pool entrance will remain an all-gender space and be available during these occurrences. For more information on getting a locker in the all-gender locker room, please contact Jay Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For people whose gender expression is not always recognized or validated, entering gendered restrooms can result in humiliation, harassment, or violence. To recognize the importance of the safety and comfort of everyone in our community, Macalester wants to ensure access to single-stall and/or all-gender restrooms on campus.
All-gender bathrooms are available in almost every building on campus, with intended renovations coming online every year. View this Google Map of All Gender Restrooms (updated Fall 2019) for information specific locations.
- Art Building : 2 single stall, accessible, Location: 2nd floor near print making studio
- Campus Center : 2 single stall, accessible, Location: in basement past post office
- Carnegie : 2 multi stall, accessible, Located: in basement
- J-Wall : 2 single stall, accessible, Location: 2nd floor in practice room area past music office
- Kagin: 2 multi stall, accessible, Location: in basement along back wall
- Markim :
- 2 single stall accessible 1st floor in back
- 2 single stall accessible 2nd floor in back — one has a shower
- single stall accessible 3rd floor in back
- Old Main : 1 single stall accessible 4th floor
- OlRi : 2 multi stall 3rd floor
- Social Studies Building : 1 single stall 2nd floor
- Theater Building :
- 1 single stall accessible basement
- 2 single stall accessible 1st floor
- 1 single stall 2nd floor
- Leonard Center :
- 1 single person changing room accessible between pool and drinking fountains with shower
- 1 multi person (single stall, one urinal) accessible changing room with 3 showers
- Library :
- 3 single stall 2nd floor
- 2 multi stall 4th floor
- Weyerhaeuser : 2 single stall accessible 1st floor by board room
- 77 Mac : 4 single stall in basement
- C-House : 1 multi stall 1st floor
- Doty :
- 1 single stall in basement
- 1 multi stall on 1st floor with showers
- 2 single stall in basement down the hallway from kitchen
- 2 single stall on 1st floor, one next to RHD’s room, one on opposite side
- 1 multi stall on 2nd floor west side with showers
- Kirk :
- 1 multi stall 2nd floor section 4
- 1 single stall basement section 8
- Veggie Co-op : 2 multi stall
- Wallace : 1 accessible single stall in basement
All HWC staff are committed to promoting health and wellness for our LGBTQA+ students in a safe and supportive environment.
The Health and Wellness Center offers guidance for students hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Contact Steph Walters (email@example.com ) for more information.
Intentional housing for transgender & nonbinary students is available for first-year students on the first floor of Doty Hall and available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors in the All-Gender Community on Kirk 4.
Please contact the Office of Residential Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) with specific housing/roommate needs or to seek exemptions for first-year courses that are residential but are assigned to a floor that doesn’t have bathroom options that meet your needs.
Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors
Students are free to live with whichever gender they identify with on single gendered floors.
Initiating a Name Change
Anywhere that your legal name is not required by a business need, law, or regulation, Macalester can use your preferred or recognized name. These uses of preferred or recognized name include class rosters, email communications, surveys, directory, Dean’s List, Housing Assignment program, announcements to hometown newspapers, etc. Please email email@example.com to start using a recognized name at Macalester.
Library- Interlibrary Loan/ iLLiad account
After receiving a new ID card reflecting your name change, please log into your iLLiad account and change your name under Change User Information.
The name on your ID card should match the name listed in your iLLiad account. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Email and Google Apps
Students may choose to receive a new email address that utilizes their institutionally recognized name’s first initial. If changing from a pre-existing Macalester email address, all files and correspondence from your previous address are transferred to your new one, and your previous address becomes an alias to your new one; this means that all correspondence sent to your previous email address will be automatically forwarded to your new one.
Note: If your old name has been saved as a contact in someone’s email account they will need to individually go in and update their address book to prevent future emails being addressed to you using your dead name.
Your institutionally recognized name will show up in search results, class rosters and most college correspondence; likewise, your professors and classmates will only see your institutionally recognized name. Students should note, however, that paper mail sent to your permanent address will also be addressed to your institutionally recognized name, meaning those on its receiving end will see your institutionally recognized name.
You can receive a new identification card (and take a new ID picture, if you choose) for free after changing your name in the College’s systems.
You can change your gender marker AFTER you graduate, just contact the Alumni Engagement Office (email@example.com).
If you feel you have been disrespected by any member of the College on the basis of your gender identity or expression, contact the Title IX Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 651-696-6258. Learn more about Title IX at Macalester.