Chuck Green Fellowship Forms
Application Deadline: Applications are due October 15.
Application Components: Application Form, 3 Recommendation Forms completed by supervisors, mentors or peers
Who Should Apply?
The six-month fellowship is open to Macalester juniors and sophomores in good academic standing (first preference will be given to juniors). Students of all majors are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in applicants who can demonstrate that they work well with others, are courageous, creative, gutsy, conscientious, inventive, and hard working.
Interested in applying for the Mellon-Mays Fellowship too? Mellon Mays requires students to spend the summer between their sophomore and junior year together on campus conducting research. The Chuck Green Fellowship is available to sophomores or juniors but also requires students to participate throughout the summer following the fellowship course. Therefore, if you’re interested in both opportunities, we recommend you save Chuck Green for your Junior Year.
Fellowship time commitments
- Spring seminar (January 19 – May 1, 2023) meets T & Th 1:20pm – 2:50pm. Depending on social distancing and health measures in effect at that time, the fellowship will meet at additional times for off-campus learning opportunities.
- May 30 – August 4, 2023: Full-time work with Twin Cities organizational partners, plus weekly evening cohort meetings (time tbd). Fellows receive a stipend and 1 academic credit for their summer work. Any other paid, unpaid, or voluntary summer work must be discussed with Professor Lesley Lavery and clearly indicated on the application.
- Week of July 31, 2023: Closing retreat.
- September 2023 (date TBA): Information and recruiting session (some past fellows may be studying away).
- Chuck Green Fellows will actively participate in all class sessions in the spring term, work collaboratively with one another as well as the partners throughout the fellowship, and be available to serve as peer advisers for the cohort of fellows to follow in their footsteps the next Spring.
The Chuck Green Fellowship selection committee will give careful consideration to all completed applications. Interviews with finalists will be conducted in late October.
Please direct questions about the Chuck Green Fellowship to:
Professor Lesley Lavery, [email protected], 651-696-6321.