Visiting Assistant Professor, English
Fiction writing; journalism; crime fiction; poetry.
Old Main, 205
Matt Burgess, a graduate of Dartmouth College and the University of Minnesota's MFA program, grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens. He is the author of the critically acclaimed literary crime novels DOGFIGHT, A LOVE STORY and UNCLE JANICE. In his courses at Macalester, he aims to work alongside his students, to help them discover and nurture their voices; then, through discussion, assigned reading, directed writing exercises, and workshops, allow them to express that voice with force and conviction.
Areas of Study
- Creative Nonfiction
- Comics and Graphic Storytelling
- Digital Writing
- Mythology and Folklore
- Genre Writing
- Introduction to Creative Writing (ENGL150-03), Fall
- Mystery Narratives (ENGL 294-03), Fall
- Introduction to Creative Writing (ENGL 150-02), Spring
- Crafts of Writing: Creative Nonfiction (ENGL 282-01), Spring
- Autobiographical and Speculative Fiction (ENGL 394-02), Spring