Macalester College believes the learning experience in a community living model is essential to student growth. Students are typically required to live on-campus for the first two years as part of this commitment to holistic learning; accommodations are considered as part of this residency requirements.
Requests for accommodations are considered on a case by case basis, evaluated by disability and any impacts or functional limitations, the reasonableness of the accommodation, and space availability.
Steps for Requesting Housing Accommodations:
All students should first review Residential Life Processes and Policies for Housing prior to requesting accommodations.
Returning Students (rising second year students):
The deadline (4/12) for accommodated housing has passed.
First year students (arriving academic year ’21-’22):
Deadline: Thursday, 7/15
- Meet with Disability Services for an intake if you have not done so.
- Register with Disability Services via the AIM system:
- Complete the accessible housing request form.
- Provide information from a care provider with information on the need for housing configurations.
Once your request is submitted:
- You will be contacted by Disability Services on receipt of request.
- The Accommodated Housing team will meet to consider all accommodation requests after the housing request deadline.
- If your request is approved, either DS or Residential Life staff will contact you regarding space configurations.
- For first year students, notification of housing placement will be provided at the same time all students are provided their housing notifications.
- Additional meetings with other staff may be required to fully implement requests (e.g. Cafe Mac if your request is meal plan related).
Important Things to Note:
Students will be considered for housing accommodation based on the following;
- A medical/mental health disability that significantly impacts the ability of the student to live in housing configurations provided
- how the accommodation reduces disability impacts
- space and other housing configuration considerations
Accommodations are considered for the student making the request, not potential roommates or friends.
Students should indicate secondary options in the event first options cannot be granted.
Fall ’21 (Non-COVID Policy): Single rooms requests via Disability Services are for instances where a single is medically necessary as part of a treatment plan to reduce disability impact. Preference for a single, a specific location, concern about typical collegiate noises, or a roommate concern may not rise to a level of medically necessary and an accommodation via this process.
Requests after the Deadline:
Deadlines are provided to ensure we are able to administratively manage requests. Requests for accommodations after deadlines will be considered; students should be aware we may be unable to honor requests due to space limits or the inability to administratively coordinate multiple housing considerations after deadlines have passed.
Deadlines for speciality housing accommodations for Fall ’21 have passed.
Students applying for language housing accommodations need to apply by first through Specialty Language Housing process/deadlines:
Students should also connect with Disability Services regarding requests for accommodations and inform the speciality/language house of an accommodation need. We will then connect with the specialty area to determine reasonable accommodation options.
Housing/Meal Plan Accommodations:
Service and Emotional Support/AssistanceAnimals:
Please refer to the information on Service and Assistance Animals. Requests also need to be completed by accommodated housing timelines to ensure appropriate space configurations.
Please contact Disability Services to discuss Service and Assistance animals at Macalester. (firstname.lastname@example.org)