Macalester College believes the learning experience in a community living model is essential to student growth. Students are required to live on-campus for the first two years as part of this commitment to holistic learning and this includes students with disabilities to live others in shared living spaces.  Accommodations are considered as part of this residency requirements. 

Requests for accommodations are considered on a case by case basis, evaluated by disability and any impacts or functional limitations, the reasonableness of the accommodation, and space availability.  

Steps for Requesting Housing Accommodations:

All students should first review Residential Life Processes and Policies for Housing prior to requesting accommodations.  

The deadlines for accommodated housing and assistance animals has passed for Spring 2022 (Deadline: October 15, 2021). The accommodation process is open for Academic Year ’22-’23: 

    • Meet with Disability Services for an intake if you have not done so.
    • Register with Disability Services via the AIM system:

Disability Services New Student Form  (Accessible Information Management/AIM): 

    • Complete the accessible housing request form.

Accommodated Residential Life Request Form

    • Provide information from a care provider with information on the need for housing configurations (e.g., why a single room is required).

Once your request is submitted:

  • You will be contacted by Disability Services on receipt of request. 
  • The Accommodated Housing team will meet to consider all accommodation requests after the housing request deadline.
  •  If your request is approved, either DS or Residential Life staff will contact you regarding space configurations.    
  • For first year students, notification of housing placement will be provided at the same time all students are provided their housing notifications.
  • Additional meetings with other staff may be required to fully implement requests  (e.g. Cafe Mac if your request is meal plan related).

Important Things to Note:

Students will be considered for housing accommodation based on the following;

  • A medical/mental health disability that significantly impacts the ability of the student to live in housing configurations provided
  • how the accommodation reduces disability impacts
  • space and other housing configuration considerations

Accommodations are considered for the student making the request, not potential roommates or friends. 

Students should indicate secondary options in the event first options cannot be granted.

Single Rooms:

Single rooms requests via Disability Services are for instances where a single is medically necessary as part of a treatment plan to reduce disability impact.  Preference for a single, a specific location, concern about typical collegiate noises, or a roommate concern may not rise to a level of medically necessary and an accommodation via this process. 

Requests after the Deadline:

Why does Macalester have a deadline for accommodation requests?

Deadlines are provided to ensure we are able to administratively manage requests due to the number of requests we receive every semester.

Students requesting after the deadline will be placed on a wait list and requests will be evaluated on a first come, first served basis as space that meets accommodation needs are available. We may be unable to honor late requests, however. 

At times, if we are unable to provide requested housing accommodations, students may be eligible for a first or second year housing waiver.  These are determined on a case by case basis.

Specialty/Language Housing:

Deadlines for speciality housing accommodations for AY ’21-’22 have passed.

Students applying for language housing accommodations need to apply by first through Specialty Language Housing process/deadlines:

Specialty/Language Houses

Students should also connect with Disability Services regarding requests for accommodations and inform the speciality/language house of an accommodation need.  We will then connect with the specialty area to determine reasonable accommodation options.

Housing/Meal Plan Accommodations:

Link to Housing/Meal Plan Accommodations

Service and Emotional Support/AssistanceAnimals:

Requests for Service and ESA/Assistance Animals also need to be completed by accommodated housing timelines to ensure appropriate space configurations.

Please contact Disability Services to discuss specifics regarding Service and Assistance animals, agreements and requirements of persons/handlers at Macalester. (