“Die beste Bildung findet ein gescheiter Mensch auf Reisen.”
— loosely rendered: “Get your smarts on the road.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre
The Macalester German Study Abroad Program is a unique six-month program based in Berlin and Vienna that provides students with the opportunity to gain high proficiency in German and to immerse themselves academically, culturally, and socially in both Germany and Austria.
- Two months of intensive language training at the Humboldt-Institut Berlin-Mitte
- Four months of study in Vienna, including two program-specific courses and up to two courses at the University of Vienna. Currently, one of the program-specific courses counts towards the Fine Arts distribution requirements at Macalester; the other counts as a Humanities course and has been pre-approved by the Environmental Studies Department to count towards the ENVI major in the “Sustainable Design” emphasis.
- On-site direction by a Macalester faculty member in Vienna
- Weekly theater or opera performances
- Excursions to other European cities, as well as a series of day trips
- Full room
All listed program features are included in the program fees. For questions or further information, email Professor Kiarina Kordela at [email protected].
Find out how Macalester German majors & minors think about their experience abroad with the program