Part I : Berlin
Classes at the Humboldt-Institut Berlin-Mitte start in early January (typically the first Monday in January); students complete one five-week course and then take two weeks of a second course for a total of seven weeks of intensive German instruction. Students have a five-to seven-day break before traveling to Vienna or on the first program excursion.
Part II: Vienna
The two Macalester program courses run March through early June.
Courses at the University of Vienna start on March 1 and end on June 30. During the semester, there will be no classes during Easter Break (two weeks) and Pentecost (four days, and on the following holidays: Ascension, May Day, Corpus Christi, and Dies Academicus. More information can be found on the Academic Calendar of University of Vienna.
The program fee is set each year by the Center for Study Away. In the past, costs have usually been equal to the Macalester’s comprehensive fee for one semester. Program fees cover:
- Housing in Berlin and Vienna
- Transportation within Europe: monthly public transportation passes in Berlin and Vienna, and train ticket from Berlin to Vienna
- Tuition (German course, Macalester program courses, University of Vienna)
- Books for the Macalester program courses
- Theater tickets
- Allowance for culture programs in Berlin and Vienna
- Activities with student mentors in Vienna
- Excursions (two longer trips, several day trips)
Transatlantic airfare and visa fee is not included.
Financial Aid (Macalester students)
All Macalester students, regardless of citizenship and major, may apply their financial aid to the program fee.