Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu

Medical Services

Primary care services are provided for degree-seeking, currently registered Macalester students. If you need care and the Hamre Center is closed, please visit Urgent and Emergency Care. If this is an emergency, please dial 911. 

Making an Appointment

Students can schedule an appointment by calling the office, stopping by, or emailing

  • Monday – Friday 10am -12pm and 1pm – 5pm
  • The Hamre Center is closed from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm

This means that students should call to schedule appointments and not simply drop by. The phone number is 651-696-6275. Do not email for an appointment request. Appointments with medical and counseling providers are still being offered.

Currently, some lab services may be limited.  Please let staff know when you make an appointment if you know you will be seeking testing or lab work.


  • What are Macalester College’s immunization requirements?

    Macalester College has established immunization requirements for its students to maintain the health and safety of our community.

  • How can I enter my immunization information?

    Students can enter immunization information in the patient portal or

  • What immunizations are required by the Laurie Hamre Center for Health and Wellness?

    • Tdap (Tetanus) booster in the last 10 years
    • 2 MMR’s (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) first one given after age 1
    • Meningitis Quadrivalent–after the age of 16
    • TB Screen form needs to be completed online in the Macalester Patient Portal
    •  Influenza vaccination
    • COVID-19 Vaccination (any of the approved vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) – effective Fall 2021

    Medical/Non-medical exemption form

  • What immunizations are recommended by the Laurie Hamre Center for Health and Wellness?

    • Hepatitis A
    • Hepatitis B
    • HPV
    • Meningitis B
    • Polio
    • Varicella

Macalester Patient Portal

  • Where is the Macalester Patient Portal and how do I log in?

    1. Go to Macalester Patient Portal.
    2. Enter your Macalester username.
    3. Enter your Macalester password—it’s the same password you use to log into 1600grand.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What medical services are available?

    This list provides a general overview of the services that we offer.

  • Who can use these services?

    Any degree-seeking, currently registered Macalester student may use our services, not just those on the “Macalester insurance.” We do not see faculty, staff, or alumni.

  • Do you offer gender affirming medical care?

    Absolutely. Transgender, genderqueer, gender fluid, or people outside of the gender binary identity routinely face discrimination and misunderstanding from health care providers, which prevents many of them from getting the care they need. We are committed to providing comfortable, affirming, and accessible care to our trans and genderqueer community. We strive to create an environment that is gender affirming and inclusive so that our students feel safe in order to get the care they need. Most of our providers can provide appropriate physical health care, including initiation of feminizing or masculinizing hormones (using an informed consent model) or recommendations for folks interested in pursuing surgery or other specialized treatment.

    Information about Gender Affirming Insurance Coverage

    In our experience, gender affirming care has been covered at the same rate as other medical services on the UnitedHealthcare insurance plan. Since we cannot guarantee coverage, we recommend contacting the Help Line customer care service for Gallegher via phone, live chat, or email form to ask specific questions regarding your coverage and approximate costs. If you do not have UnitedHealthcare, you can follow the same process by contacting the customer service phone number on the back of your insurance card. The Hamre Center also has an Insurance Specialist, Tarryel Powell, who can direct you to the right person or help you call your insurance company. 

    Here is the medical policy for Gender Affirming Care with UnitedHealthCare. Please note: this document has medical terminology that can be difficult to interpret and understand. We are providing this document because some medical clinics may request to see it. We recognize there is language in this document that is clinical and pathologizing in nature. Take care in how you utilize this document because it may not be helpful for you in your journey.

    Additional Resources

    Hamre Center’s goal is to make you aware of possible resources in the community that may be helpful. These lists are not comprehensive of all available resources, and we do not endorse any of the following services as the right option for any specific individual.

    Gender Affirming Health Care Resources List

  • I or my partner needs emergency contraception (EC). What do we do?

    We provide non-prescription EC for $15 per dose. If you require EC outside of office hours it is available to any person 17 or over, of any gender, without a prescription from local pharmacies. Protip: you can buy a dose of EC before an emergency occurs and keep it in your room.

  • What does a medical visit cost?

    There is no charge for most visits to see a medical provider. Physicals that require paperwork (study away, employment, athletic, pre-operative, for example) are an exception. Additionally, there is sometimes a charge for labs, procedures, and immunizations. See the Insurance and Billing for more on this topic. A reminder that for students on the Mac-offered  United Healthcare Student Resources insurance, all services received in the Hamre Center are covered at 100% with no out of pocket costs.

  • What type of medical providers do you have on staff?

    The medical team is currently made up of this crew! We also host Family Medicine residents and Adolescent Medicine fellows from the University of Minnesota under the supervision of Dr. Steph.

  • Can I just walk into the Hamre Center and see a provider whenever I want?

    Walk-in medical appointments, usually offered daily from 1-3 p.m., are not being offered at this time to minimize potential virus exposure for both students and staff.

  • What if I am late for my appointment?

    If you are more than 10 minutes late for your appointment, you will likely be asked to reschedule out of respect for other students with appointments.

  • My study away program/job/sports team/surgery requires a physical, can that be done there?

    Yes, but you may have to pay out of pocket. Current charge for physicals that include paperwork is $100. Like all Hamre Center charges, if you are on the Mac-offered USHCR, you won’t pay any of that fee out of pocket. If you are on outside insurance, you pay the charge to the Hamre Center (it will show up on your Macalester account) and then submit for reimbursement to your insurance company (call your insurance company first to ask if this is a covered service).

  • I need help getting medication. Can you help?

    All members of our medical provider staff can meet with you and either continue medications you started at home, initiate new prescriptions, or talk to you about ways to integrate medical and counseling care for your mental health. Learn more about mental health medication services.