Having trouble balancing academics and life at Macalester?
The MAX Center staff will help you establish learning goals, develop effective learning strategies, and set academic priorities that optimize use of time and learning outcomes.
In either a group setting or individually, you will learn how to get the most out of your writing, reading, and organizational skills.
We can help you develop an individualized approach to your studies that reduces procrastination levels while establishing study routines that fit your working style and personal preferences.
You can also schedule an appointment with one of the staff counselors by calling or emailing: Sedric McClure at 651-696-6014 or Becky Graham at 651-696-6602. You are welcome to schedule regular ongoing appointments with Sedric or Becky.
Study Skills Job Description
Peer study skills tutors meet with students who wish to strengthen their study skills through better time management, more efficient reading strategies, and effective study habits. Tutors participate in weekly tutor training meetings and complete the tutor training program. After completing 25 hours of tutoring, they earn College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certification. Study Skills tutors work with students one-to-one or in groups and engage in research and ongoing projects in the MAX Center and on campus. They have excellent writing and communication skills and the ability to work well with individuals and groups.
- Strengthening Your Studying Skills
- Reading and Studying Textbooks
- How to Study - Techniques & Methods
- Great tips for time management, goal setting, and learning strategies
- Create a personalized notepaper for different different subjects
- Help sharpen your long-term and short-term memory
- Tips about developing a time management matrix according to Dr. Steven Covey
- Tips on calculating time needed to complete assignments in a timely manner