The Macalester Academic Excellence (MAX) Center supports students in their efforts toward academic success and educational independence by fostering a community of intellectually engaged, life-long learners. Our professional counselors and peer tutors offer personalized mentoring across the curriculum for students at all stages of the learning process. We also offer study-skills and time-management counseling, coordinate the Supplemental Instruction program, offer testing accommodations for students with disabilities, and collaborate with faculty to strengthen student learning.
The MAX Center employs equitable training and tutoring practices, including anti-racist, anti-oppressive pedagogies, to accommodate and empower Macalester’s diverse student population and to fulfill our role in the college’s commitment to an inclusive, equitable learning environment.
Did you know?
- MAX Center tutors are certified through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- The MAX Center has Level II CRLA certification, and tutors are now eligible to earn individual Level II certification.
- The MAX Center has partnered with multiple departments for Supplemental Instruction programming in Chemistry, Biology, Economics.
- We work with alumni and community members.
- The MAX Center has been a Green Star Certified office since June 2012.
- We proctor testing for students with documented disability accommodations.
- Three of our professional staff also teach courses at Macalester.