The Macalester Academic Excellence (MAX) Center supports Macalester students in their efforts toward academic success and educational independence and fosters a community of intellectually engaged, life-long learners. We offer personalized tutoring across the curriculum and at all skill levels, provide support for those with disabilities, and work with professors to strengthen student learning.
In collaboration with the Department of Multicultural Life, we also coordinate the Emerging Scholars Program, an intentional learning community for multi-racial students and students of color. Ultimately, we hope to respond to the multiplicity of strengths and needs of students by creating an empowering, non-evaluative learning environment.
Did you know?
- In 2015-2016, the MAX Center received 1,670 visits.
- MAX Center tutors are certified through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- The MAX Center recently received Level II CRLA certification, and tutors are now eligible to earn individual Level II certification.
- The MAX Center has partnered with multiple departments for Supplemental Instruction programming in Chemistry, Biology, Economics.
- We work with alumni and community members.
- The MAX Center has been a Green Star Certified office since June 2012.