Many of the Music Department’s recitals and concerts are live streamed.
Music Building Hours
Fall and spring semester:
Monday–Thursday: 7:00 AM –11:30 PM
Friday: 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Saturday: 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Sunday: 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM
Limited and posted on the doors to the Music Department wing of Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center.
Macalester College Music Department
1600 Grand Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55105
Street Address of Music Department, Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center
130 Macalester Street
Saint Paul, MN 55105
Music Major Receives an Arts Fulbright to Brazil
Jonah Lazarus ’17, a Music major from Oak Park, Ill., with minors in Physics and Portuguese, received an Arts Fulbright to Brazil. He will live in Salvador da Bahia where he will continue his study of the music of Candomblé, a religion, under the tutelage of Iuri Passos, of the Rum Alagbe Music School, and Dr. Angela Luhnig, an ethnomusicologist, at the Universidade Federal de Bahia. Lazarus said receiving the Fulbright means he can return to Brazil to continue to explore the music of Candomblé that has already influenced him so much. “I want to be surprised and challenged, as it is often these experiences that are most valuable,” Lazarus said. Although he can’t begin to predict everything he will learn, he hopes to find new ways to become inspired and engaged in music and life. When his Fulbright is complete, Lazarus plans to continue to travel and perform, compose, teach, and share his love of music, connecting with people and communities.
Every year seniors do extended original work in their area of interest. Below are is a sampling of projects from our students. Get more information about each project in Digital Commons.
- Yihao Zhou ‘16 (Beijing, China) “Mozart’s Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in B-Flat Major, K. 450: A Performance and Formal Analysis”
- Jan Honza Cervenka ’13 “Orchestral Conducting: Study and Performance of Orchestral Works by Haydn, Wagner, Strauss and Martinů”
- Sam Tygiel ’13 (San Francisco), “Earthless: A Sonic Exploration of the Space Between Death and Life, Composed in Five Movements for Chamber Ensemble”
- Drake Andersen ’09 (Chicago, Ill.), “Confianza for choir and string quartet”
- Ian Christopher Boswell ’09 (State College, Pa.), “Fifth Wheel for Jazz Band”
- Daniel Pickens-Jones ’08 (Santa Clara, Calif.), “Mysticism, Whimsy, and Obscurity in Benjamin Britten’s ‘Sacred and Profane: Eight Medieval Lyrics’”
Recent Topics Courses
- Music, Empathy, Alienation
- Musical Fictions
- Cover Songs
- Passion Music: Renderings of Jesus’s Final Hours
- Music in the United States, 1700s to Present
- The Art and Practice of Improvisation: Jazz Theory Workshop
- Intro to North Indian Music
- World Music Theory and Analysis