You will engage in advising before beginning your study away application.
We want to make sure that you are able to find the best program for you that also aligns with Macalester’s objectives for study away.
The central goals of the study away advising process are:
- To help you focus your intellectual and cultural interests so that they dovetail with Macalester’s goals for study away;
- To provide you with the tools for comparing different program options on the basis of academic content and structure, cultural immersion, and cost; and
- To provide you with concrete suggestions for your program search from the standpoint of both program quality and educational “fit.”
What does that involve?
- Attend a First Steps to Study Away Info Session
First Steps Sessions are held throughout the fall semester. Check the Center for Study Away calendar for dates and times.
- Complete the Pre-Advising Questionnaire
The online advising process happens during the fall semester. You will log in to the online application using your Macalester username and password. You can track your progress through the advising process in your Macalester Study Away Account.
- Meet with a Study Away Advisor
You will meet with a study away advisor to discuss your study away plans, ask questions, and talk about your goals.
What can I do?
Read program evaluations
- Read evaluations from Macalester students who have participated in the programs you are considering.
Talk with Professors
Professors can be crucial in helping you see how study away can be used. Talk about what makes sense with your intended major(s) and academic plan.
- Which semester is best for you?
- Do you need to get credit for a certain type of class during study away (major, minor, concentration, etc.)?
- If you’re planning to do an honors project or senior thesis, talk about how the timing of this will work with your study away plans.
- Will you do research while away?
- How can study away complement your studies at Macalester?