Why study English at Mac?
The study and creation of literature at Macalester:
- fosters sustained and empathic engagements with minds and experiences beyond our own;
- challenges us to think deeply, to push back against assumptions, to explore the nuances of ideas, and to ask hard questions of ourselves and others;
- develops the written and oral communication skills necessary to express ourselves clearly and persuasively;
- builds a community within the department, enables collaborations across campus, connects us to opportunities in the Twin Cities, and invites us to become thoughtful citizens of the world
Want to know more about becoming an English major?
- We encourage you to connect with English Faculty and Department Chair Andrea Kaston Tange to learn about the major, requirements, and to answer your academic questions.Or, if you would like to talk with a current English major, contact the English Department Coordinator, Jan Beebe and she will arrange that for you. We have many English majors eager to speak with you.